So much for my first smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
So last night, my partner came home from class and called me outside saying that there was something funny looking about the new smoker. The cover was still on it, and it was dark, so we couldn't see very well, but we could tell pretty fast that someone had hit it with a vehicle and pretty much mangled it beyond repair, as far as I can see. It was hit with enough force to drive it INTO our house, punching a hole through the siding. (Granted, this house is pushing 150 years old and the owner doesn't put any money into it, so some of the siding is in really bad shape, but still.)

We have a rental car place across the street that uses the lot next to our house for parking their vehicles, which include a large number of big cargo and passenger vans, and they routinely encroach on what little parking area we have behind the house, and when there are no cars parked there, they use that area to whip around their vehicles and get them arranged in the lot. So I'm like 99% sure it was one of their drivers, but of course, neither the DVR on our security system or our neighbors' are recording right now, so we have no proof.

I also have no smoker. The metal just kind of buckled around the cast iron grates in there, the side tray (expanded metal) is just folded in on itself, and the cooking chamber won't even open... and if it did, it wouldn't close enough to hold in smoke anymore anyway.

We are hoping our landlord will be upset enough about the hole in the house to make a stink with the car rental people, but who knows... and our renters' insurance deductible is almost as much as we paid for the grill and accessories, so that's out. I just don't understand people who would do something like this. I will admit I cried like a little girl last night, and again today at work, and again today when I got home and took off the cover to look at it more closely. People sure can be real jerks. :(

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I guess I'll go back to smoking on my grill again for the foreseeable future. Thanks for letting me vent. :(

Sunny

Sorry to here of your misfortune. What did the police have to say about it? They might be able to help you find out who is responsible. Also sounds like your landlord needs to "grow a pair".

I'd at-least try to straighten it out with a rubber mallet. Nothing to loose at this point.

Sorry to hear about your smoker. Some people do suck.

Chris

We didn't file a police report, but we figure the landlord might ask us to. Honestly, I'm not sure what they could do, really. The cover likely protected whatever vehicle hit it from paint coming off on it (and it was probably one of those huge vans that wouldn't register a scratch). Our first thought was the smoker isn't worth enough money to waste their time... but of course, fixing the siding in this old house might up that a bit.

Our neighbor who runs a racing team said he would take a look today and see if he thinks there's anything he could do with it in terms of body shop type fixes, but after looking at it today, sheesh. It's way worse than it even looks in the pictures. I couldn't even get it open to look at the damage inside. :(

It's close to the beginning of the year, so if you did use your renters insurance, the deductible would be paid incase you need to use it again this year.

In any case, sorry this happened to you.

You could hammer a lot of that out to make it workable...On the other hand, your landlord might have some issues with moisture in his walls. Just saying.

Man that really stinks! Looked like it was pretty new too. I hate it for you. I’ll bet your fiend with “body shop skills” will be able to help you out some. The expanded metal shelf looks beyond repair but I bet most of the rest can be helped by a good body man. Good luck with it!

Weedeater

That really sucks. Like a bunch of kids, now when asked Who did this? The resposse is..." Not Me " and " Ida' No "
When moving from an apartment to our first house. United Van lines was our carrier. The movers finished and got on the road. My wife and I came out to leave and found the side of our brand new 89 Bronco, smashed in from nose to tail. Even with a long Orange paint stripe left on the black truck and a Witness, the drivers claimed they didn't hit our truck...JJ

That is a time; a crying shame! Cover or not, there is no way the vehicle did not suffer some kind of damage, a dent or something. I would file a police report for what it is worth and let them ask a few questions of your friendly neighborhood car rental agency.

Tell the landlord he's lucky that your smoker absorbed a lot of crush damage that otherwise would have hit the house directly.

If they're using your property as swing area, set up some kind of barrier on the property line. Even something like some cheapo plastic picket fence could serve as a visible boundary marker, and if it's damaged then you'll have something to point to. Lay down a line of concrete blocks that they would at least feel (like a parking stop) even if they are too incompotent to see what they're doing when they maneuver.

Big van rentals + inexperienced rental van customers driving = mistakes. Or it might have been one of their lot jockeys who doesn't care. Don't let them step on you, or they will continue to do so.

Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here to mourn the loss of what looks like it could have been a decent basic smoker. I have a stick burner similar to that one. Did you get much use out of it? If you junk it, see what you can salvage from it first, like cooking grates or maybe that bottom shelf.

That sucks! You just had your 1st smoke in it this weekend? I'm sure your body shop buddy can straighten it out enough to make it usable and you may be surprised. If they can salvage a totaled rig I'm sure that'll be repairable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky