So 30 lbs of sausage later?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Alright so checked them and 90% of them were hitting between 144 and 148.. started counting and after 30 minutes into ice water bath:

20211023_154516.jpg

After 10 or so minutes in it out to dry and cool down more... how long do you guys bloom it? In fridge or not?

Looks great . It might pick up more smoke flavor as it sits . Mine usually does .
You nailed the texture . That's the most important part in my opinion .
I store a chub to snack on in the fridge , wrapped in pink butcher paper . The longer it sits the better it gets . Got that tip from a meat cutter I go to . Told me it has to breath .

Looks great . It might pick up more smoke flavor as it sits . Mine usually does .
You nailed the texture . That's the most important part in my opinion .
I store a chub to snack on in the fridge , wrapped in pink butcher paper . The longer it sits the better it gets . Got that tip from a meat cutter I go to . Told me it has to breath .
I gotta say, never understood what members were saying about it being juicy..
Now i do! This stuff is juicy, I'm gonna age/bloom it in the fridge for a couple days before vaccum sealing it and freezing, how long would you recommend for that, i like sausage that has a little toughness for a skin/outside of it too

I'm gonna age/bloom it in the fridge for a couple days before vaccum sealing it and freezing, how long would you recommend for that,
I've done it all different ways . You need to hold it in uncoated butcher paper or a paper bag so it can breath . I keep the fridge I do this in at 36 degrees . I have a therm in there to read the temp .
Here's a thread I did on a test to further dry the chubs . https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/semi-dried-sausage.295866/

The german bologna I have in there now has been in pink paper since Oct. 2nd .

Thanks! I gotta say i was afraid of going all in with this kit, just in case i didn't like it or it didn't turn out right, but 30 lbs of meat later, I'm making plans for another batch for my next deer
S13, Nice job on your SS,some high temp cheese and chopped jalapeno( 1 jar of Mt. Olive per 10 #) would be nice additions to your next batch!

That is impressive. As a guy who hasn’t got into making my own sausage yet this is always impressive to see!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky