So 30 lbs of sausage later?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
Alright so i decide with the recent buck harvest i got, to make up a banch of summer sausage. And why do 5 lbs, 10lbs or 15... just do the whole 30lb!

Its about 9 lbs of pork butt to 21 lbs of venison. Grinded it all through the bigger plate then mixed in the cure and seasonings and water... through the smaller plate then. I don't have a sausage stuffer so i just use my jerky gun:

20211022_163400.jpg

So 10 3 lb rolls later i still had some leftover!
20211022_200730.jpg

So i guess my question is, i took the rest and stuffed some snack sticks, will these be any good? Is it fine to smoke along with the summer sausage?
Everything done:
20211022_212521.jpg

The reason i suspect i had leftover is becuase i added 24ozs of water and the kit( high mountain seasonings, hunter's blind) weights 2lbs total so maybe 1lb worth of seasonings and cure... i weighted out each roll to be around 3lbs so 10 X 3 lbs = 30lbs worth, how much the kit says it can do... 30 lbs of meat.

You live n learn! Tomorrow morning I'll be smoking them, more pictures and posts to be added! All comments and concerns are welcomed!

-smokinq13

Yep.. Live and learn. Ambitious indeed stuffing 30# through a jerky gun! Bet your hands are sore! LOL! Just remember low an slow when you smoke so no fat out. Looking forward to the pics. to come..
About 4 hours later! I need to get a stuffer! I got a field and stream grinder that comes with the tubes to do it, but running already ground through it is a struggle!

Reactions: tallbm
Yeah. Don't stuff with a grinder. I have a heavy built haka stuffer. That isn't spelled right. Bit it was like 120 bucks.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I didn't realize Hi Mountain had the branded casings. The company is about 120 miles from my front door, and their products are everywhere.

Alright so i decide with the recent buck harvest i got, to make up a banch of summer sausage. And why do 5 lbs, 10lbs or 15... just do the whole 30lb!

Its about 9 lbs of pork butt to 21 lbs of venison. Grinded it all through the bigger plate then mixed in the cure and seasonings and water... through the smaller plate then. I don't have a sausage stuffer so i just use my jerky gun:

View attachment 514199

So 10 3 lb rolls later i still had some leftover!
View attachment 514200

So i guess my question is, i took the rest and stuffed some snack sticks, will these be any good? Is it fine to smoke along with the summer sausage?
Everything done:
View attachment 514201
The reason i suspect i had leftover is becuase i added 24ozs of water and the kit( high mountain seasonings, hunter's blind) weights 2lbs total so maybe 1lb worth of seasonings and cure... i weighted out each roll to be around 3lbs so 10 X 3 lbs = 30lbs worth, how much the kit says it can do... 30 lbs of meat.

You live n learn! Tomorrow morning I'll be smoking them, more pictures and posts to be added! All comments and concerns are welcomed!

-smokinq13
Congrats on the buck!

I suggest you get a stuffer that does more than the amount you expect to do. So if you intend to do 10 pound batches get one that holds 11+ pounds.

I have a big one that holds about 22-23 pounds because I do 20 pounds at a time. Just know the bigger the stuffer the harder it is to stuff into small cases. You will need 2 people to stuff sticks and link sausage. Pushing 20 pounds of meat through a little tube = someone using hardcore strength with 2 hands to crank and 1 person guiding the casting and stuffed meat :)

I hope it all comes out well :D

Reactions: indaswamp
Alright up before sunrise:
20211023_070951.jpg

Tell you what, ryobi is becoming a great brand! I love all my cordless tools i got from them!

This thing makes cleaning the pellet grill a breeze!:
20211023_062827.jpg

Sausage on:
20211023_071232.jpg

It took up alot more room than i thought...
Plan is to keep smoker on the p setting for a couple hours, get the smoking tube going to apply some good smoke, and i might turn it up to 200, that's the lowest temp it'll go other than "smoke"

Reactions: Bearcarver
Alright off smoker into oven

Snack sticks are done, some are way higher than I'd like but after a taste test or two, no fat separation... my oven only goes as low as 170 so I'll have to keep an eye on it, what internal temperature should i be shooting for?

If you smoke them to 144*F internal temp. and hold it for at least 30 minutes, you can pull them.

This pasteurizes the meat and they are safe to eat. Will also be a whole lot more juicy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky