Snapping Turtle Creamy Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slapaho_injun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Minnesota
3BCF1BCF-C681-4C87-9A89-E5296A0E0CB4.jpeg
My first try and it was very good. I basically looked at many soup recipes, then thought back on some of the other soups I’ve made and came up with this. I’m keeping this one.

8F3257D4-68A8-46C9-AAAF-349EE095A577.jpeg
15CBD613-0FA0-450D-B6E0-E4A9911FDE28.jpeg
5DD61BD9-D1A0-492D-9D40-E5C2760F1B91.jpeg
Now I want to go and kill me a snapping turtle..

Getting one seems like the easy part. Butchering them.....that took some beers!

Well worth it in the end tho. I will be making it every deer camp & venison processing weekend going forward. Everyone loved it. Something we just don’t see much and it was delicious to boot!

My grandmother use to make turtle potpie. If its a true snapping turtle isn't it crazy how many different flavors of meat it has.

Warren

There’s a little place down here in New Orleans, some may have heard of it. Mandinas on Canal in the Mid City area. They have turtle soup, and serve it with a hard boiled egg, topped w dry sherry.

I could eat that stuff by the gallon.

Looks good! Brings back some memories. I made 50 gallons of Snapper Soup a month at one Country Club I cooked at. Pretty Good stuff although a little Clove forward for my taste. Picking the Snapper was a lot of work and it took 3 Big Snapper to get enough meat.
Must a been a pretty Hungry fella', whomever jumped on the back of a big Snappin' Turtle thinkin', " I don't know what this ugly suckered is but I'M EATIN' IT!!! "...JJ

Reactions: slapaho_injun
The funky reptilian smell of a turtle while butchering it makes you think there is no way this can be delicious & even the parboiled liquid is a bit strong. I throw that away with the bay leaves. The finished product as I did it, had nothing but tenderness & deliciousnous!

There are so many different types of meat , you’re right about that. The neck looks like lobster, the back straps too, the quarters are dark and chunky.

All said, it is a delicacy and I’m glad to have found a way to make it for my family.

Your soup looks fantastic Chief.

We have a lot of snappers in the ditches, around here and I've put a lot of thought into harvesting some, but I've also watched a couple you tube videos on the butchering process / ordeal and those have put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Still like to have a taste but not willing to commit the time to the job. Not hungry enough, I guess. Ribs look a lot easier.

Had a little tavern about an hour away from me, that I used to go to quite often to get fried turtle, they were the largest user of turtle in the state of Illinois (so they say) and was about the last tavern around to have Schlitz on tap. So it was a win-win for me. Also our local VFW used to make Turtle soup for free on Veterans Day every year .

Man, brings back memories. I used to run limb lines all over when I was a kid. We ate turtle at least once a week. Haven't had turtle meat in 30 years. I need to fix that this Spring/Summer.

Spent one summer in high school trapping snappers. A little restaurant south of us would buy as many as we could haul down there. My buddy's family ran a bait business, so we had plenty of bait and large tanks for storing turtles. Lots of fun, except for almost 'donating' a thumb to big one once.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky