Snakes and plant people!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Cutting the grass today and saw two things I’ve never seen before here. Location is about 45 minutes south of Baltimore md. Has we found a little snake under our rocks. And a weird plant that I thought I read somewhere was invasive. Anyone have any input on what either of the two are?

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1981.jpeg
    IMG_1981.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1982.jpeg
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5328.jpeg
    IMG_5328.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5327.jpeg
    IMG_5327.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5326.jpeg
    IMG_5326.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 42
Cutting the grass today and saw two things I’ve never seen before here. Location is about 45 minutes south of Baltimore md. Has we found a little snake under our rocks. And a weird plant that I thought I read somewhere was invasive. Anyone have any input on what either of the two are?

Don't know about the snake, but the plant is a holly (my woods are full of them!).

If it's not bothering you , I wouldn't bother it . Most likely providing a service you don't realize . Like eating mice and bugs . Now if it's hanging out on the patio or garage that's different .
I have rat snakes that live in the landscape around my house . Biggest I've seen was a little over 4 ' . Saw a baby the other day . Don't see them much , but if it becomes an issue I'll call the state conservation and see what they say . Have to be carful , or you should be aware of regulation on snakes .

Three nights this past week, I've had to run a rat snake out of my hen house when I went out to shut them up for the night...not so much fun to hold a flashlight in one hand and "uncoil" a snake from around a roosting pole with an old tomato stake!

They do a good job of keeping rodents in check and as I collect eggs when I feed the birds, there's no issue there.

Now, if I see a rattler or moccasin, it's as good as dead if it stays where it's at long enough for me to get to my shotgun! I live back in the woods by myself and if I get hurt, I'm in trouble...no time for that nonsense!

I can't ID all the plants in the pic, but the one with the prickly leaves is a holly. Woody plants, I know, but not much on snake ID. As long as the snakes around here stay out of my house and barn, I let them do their thing undisturbed.

I had a darn mole show up earlier in the summer . Couldn't get rid of it , tearing up the yard and my landscape . Saw the bigger rat snake coming out of one of the tunnels . Haven't seen any mole activity since .

I had a darn mole show up earlier in the summer . Couldn't get rid of it , tearing up the yard and my landscape . Saw the bigger rat snake coming out of one of the tunnels . Haven't seen any mole activity since .
I got a mole over here that needs ate .... send it over here. The local snake population must not like moles.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky