Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had a pretty decent experience with the Hi Mountain Pepperoni kit this fall. I used about 7lbs of venison with about 3 lbs of pork fat for a 10lb batch. Maybe be could've been a little spicier for my own taste but it was very good. Follow the instructions to the letter with the measuring, mixing, curing and smoking. I actually let it sit an extra day in the fridge curing after stuffing and before smoking and I think it made a difference.

Last edited:
My opinion is... same as K9's

But let me add... The problem (for me) with these kits is that you start buying other kits.. and then try another kit... before you know it you have all these different kits... These kits CAN NOT be comingled .. meaning you can not (should not) use the cure/salt packet from one kit with the spice pack from another kit (believe me, this occasion always presents itself)...

What I suggest you do... instead of the "kits" ... buy Cure #1 and your seasonings separate ... Myself, I use The Sausage Makers seasonings... There has been a lot of talk about Owen's Seasonings as well ... a google search will find both places ...

Good Luck with your sticks...

Owens and PS seasonings are good ones. PS is the maker of and are the supplier for Cabelas sausage mixes.

Any sausage recipe with cure #1 can be made into snack sticks. They are small diameter and dry easily. All the flavor profiles work fine. Len Poli has a great recipe index for sausages. Play and have fun.

Reactions: Trigger01
Good points made by JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 . Like he said it does come up . I don't buy the kits , but will get them as gifts . Nothing wrong with them . I like the Hi Mountain stuff . With Hi Mountain . The directions will be for sticks , whole muscle jerky and ground meat jerky . Different amounts for the different uses . Like said above , I have a full packet of maple cure on the shelf that's out of one of the kits . Didn't get used because of different amounts needed per batch .

I buy from TSM and Owens . Owens has great stuff , and per pound directions that make it easy .
If I'm using store bought I make a habit of writing on the bag what I used out of it . If it came with cure , I keep them together .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
High Mountain garlic & pepper is my go to. Owens also has a similar flavor and it is really good also. Kind of Ditto what chopsaw said above. I also like the Old Plantation peppered jerky mix. All 3 of the above are good on my taste buds. Now if you really want something spectacular, do a search here for Thai Jerkey. Man that is one good one using fish oil, it is the best one overall in my smokey opinion.

HT

For off the shelf , I prefer Hi Country to the High Mountain.
I have used Owen's a few times ( bloody Mary favorite), and Sausage Maker.

I agree also with the kits and having leftovers. When I first started, I bought a hi mountain kit for sticks and also one for summer sausage, made a small batch of each... they were pretty good but not great and need to make more so after a couple years the remaining got thrown out. Also tried some posted recipes and while good there were always changes that were needed to fit our tastes. Lately I have been getting all our seasonings from Owen's BBQ and really like them. So far there original, honey bbq ( a favorite), pepperoni, bloody mary, and tex mex sticks. Also their summer sausage and Dakota sausage is really good. And they have great customer service! In the end it all comes down to your own personal preferences.

Ryan

I really like Walton's Willie Snack stick seasoning other than that and Lem's frank mix I don't use store bought mixes.

My opinion - Look for recipes that contain spices you know you like.

Try a few, taking notes.

Modify the recipes until you're happy.

So far there original, honey bbq ( a favorite), pepperoni, bloody mary, and tex mex sticks.
Gonna make sticks soon. Have Owen's seasoning for both the Bloody Mary and Honey BBQ. Love the BM, haven't tried the Honey yet. Is there any "bite" at all to the Honey ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky