Snack Sticks - Check my plan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do 152 to 155 but I dont ice bath that allows the meat to rise some in temp.

If I do put them in an ice bath, what temp should I go to?

From what I read, putting in an ice bath will stop the casings from shriveling up? Or what would be pros and cons of an ice bath?

Taking your meat to the 160 temp is your choice

I dont take mine past 152-53. I dont cold or water them either, wrinkles dont bother me. After all your not selling the product.....is ya?

The suction cups on tropics stuffer are for the LEM french fry cutter. Go to the LEM site

Taking your meat to the 160 temp is your choice

I dont take mine past 152-53. I dont cold or water them either, wrinkles dont bother me. After all your not selling the product.....is ya?

Thank you. I’ll probably stick with the mid 150’s.

Sticks sat out at room temp for about 30 minutes. They are now on the Traeger, set on Smoke.

Let me know if I’m missing anything.

8B3486E7-8010-4050-B283-45A8CAC0E95D.jpeg

Looking good. If you are air drying then the 150's is fine. I just prefer going to 160 and ice bathing them so they aren't wrinkly. I can't tell for sure from the pic. But, just make sure the sticks aren't touching each other. It'll leave a light spot where they are touching each other. For me that's more cosmetic.

Sticks are off the Traeger.

I pulled them off, let them just sit for about 5 minutes, and then put them in ice water for about 5 minutes. I dried them off and now they are on a rack.

Any specific on how long they should sit at room temp before slicing into?

Lastly, any specific guidelines for storage?

BD636BDE-AE4A-4943-8A56-16FEF16A56C5.jpeg

AA5EAD88-79E0-4790-8000-11143DFA8B02.jpeg

330B34CA-A3D4-4EA1-8ADC-2E2038FED17E.jpeg

Reactions: pa42phigh
They look good. Just let them get to room temp. After that I put them in a paper bag in the fridge overnight. Then put what you think you'll eat in a week in a zip lock bag in the fridge. The rest you divide and freeze in vacuum sealed bags

I am very pleased with my first batch. I think they turned out pretty good. The flavor is good, although I would like a little more smoke flavor. I did try to get my pellet tube going, but I could keep it burning inside the smoker.

452AEE50-C6B9-4C3F-BDA3-41B3A2569438.jpeg

They look good. Just let them get to room temp. After that I put them in a paper bag in the fridge overnight. Then put what you think you'll eat in a week in a zip lock bag in the fridge. The rest you divide and freeze in vacuum sealed bags

Thank you!

Reactions: Bud J
That looks great to me. How is the casings? I usually peel mine off.

That looks great to me. How is the casings? I usually peel mine off.

Thanks. The casings seem to be fine. I don’t mind the snap.

Besides preference of texture, any other reasons to peel them?

Like Cory said if you let it sit overnight it will get pretty stiff and be hard to crank. I would stuff then let the sticks rest in the fridge. Then start smoking early in the morning. I also like to spray some pam or some type of cooking spray in the cylinder and stuffing horn to start.
you can also spray with food grade silicone or lightly rub with Crisco vegetable shortening.

HT

Trying my hand at a second batch of snack sticks. Will smoke these 7lbs of sticks tomorrow.

983FC766-98B5-45AD-AECF-616902D6AF8D.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky