Smothered Pasta, Spicy Red Sauce & Braised Constellation Tomatoes (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Needed to get my Italian fix the other night but wanted to try something different...just mix things up a bit as I tend to do on a somewhat regular basis. Y'all know the drill: pool, margaritas, and thinking cap. This is what I decided to do. It was another blazing hot day so this was an inside cook again.

Got the sauce going early in the day. Simmer for a while, turn off the heat, put a lid on the pan, and let it get happy all afternoon. This was done with a 12 ounce package of my homemade spicy Italian sausage
001.jpg

The Constellation tomatoes in a CI skillet with the drippings from cooking and draining the sausage, some Italian herbs, and a little kosher salt
002.jpg

Cut up a nice salad
003.jpg

Angel hair pasta cooked, drained, and onto the plate with the braised tomatoes
004.jpg

Sauce and a really thick slice of provolone cheese
005.jpg

Into the microwave to melt the cheese. Plated with the salad and some cheesy garlic toast
006.jpg

Close up
007.jpg

This was REALLY good. We love Italian food and love spicy food so this is perfect for us. I've done this quite a few times and have the sauce dialed in pretty well. Between the spicy sausage, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, and black pepper it has a nice little tingle to it. We also really enjoy grilled tomatoes but I'd never thought to do them inside and they came out really well. A very nice addition to the dish. The coupe de grace though was all that fantastic melted provolone on top. Man that took the dinner to a whole new level. I can see doing that again...and again....and again :emoji_laughing:

Well, got a big rack of Dino ribs on the smoker I need to go check on. Y'all take care and maybe see everybody tomorrow, assuming the ribs come out as planned and y'all don't mind seeing yet another beef related thread :emoji_wink:

Have a great weekend,
Robert

It looks tasty as heck! But for some reason my brain says sandwich with the garlic bread and pasta!

Ryan

I like it Robert, it's in my blood. I'd like it a hair more if you'd have tossed a couple of your fantastic homemade sausages on my plate! Once you start making your own pasta there will be no going back, you will be hooked! RAY

Reactions: millerbuilds
I'm not big on pasta, but I believe I could make a plate of that disappear.

It looks tasty as heck! But for some reason my brain says sandwich with the garlic bread and pasta!
Thanks Ryan!! Not sure how well a pasta sandwich would stay together but it'd be worth a try. Let's see what you can do with it my friend :emoji_wink: I'd sure as heck ride along to see how it comes out.

Robert

I like it Robert, it's in my blood. I'd like it a hair more if you'd have tossed a couple of your fantastic homemade sausages on my plate! Once you start making your own pasta there will be no going back, you will be hooked!
Very much appreciate it Ray. Next time will probably be some of those links. I do like the spicy sausage in the sauce though. As it sits and gets happy, the flavors really meld into a beautifully balanced flavor.

Robert

Man that’s one beautiful plate of pasta! The close up shot has me starving!
Thanks so much Jeff. Wasn't sure if the last pic should have been posted but it looked pretty tantalizing (to me at least) so went ahead and tossed it out there.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
I'm not big on pasta, but I believe I could make a plate of that disappear.
Pasta is kinda boring. for us, it's just the vessel to hold the sauce :emoji_wink: We did make it disappear although it took Tracy two rounds to finish hers. Made her a lunch for the next day with the leftovers.

Robert

Reactions: DougE
Pasta is kinda boring. for us, it's just the vessel to hold the sauce :emoji_wink: We did make it disappear although it took Tracy two rounds to finish hers. Made her a lunch for the next day with the leftovers.

Robert
You definitely knocked the sauce out of the park, which makes me want to eat the pasta under it. The provolone on top doesn't hurt either.

Dang! That looks incredible!!!! I’ve gone a while without pasta, I think that’ll have to change soon! I can’t keep up with you Robert!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky