SmokyOkie Ice Damage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
Spoke with the SmokyOkie today. Due to the ice storm that has both Tulsa and OKCity blacked out he has no electrical power and says he figures another 5-6 days before they get it back. Said all his trees in his yard are broken down bad. He could not get to his pile of pecan smoking wood to use it for his wood stove because a tree is laying on it.
Fortunately, he has a pallet of Mexican mesquite lump charcoal in his garage. That is some HOT burning charcoal. I know. I seared a brisket over it and also seared my right arm and hand, even using Okie's 18" custom made meat fork. Okie says a 20 lb. bag burns about 6 hours in the wood stove and heats his home. Lotta heat and low ash. Being a smoker pays off!
We went through the same thing back in 2002, it is tough without electricity. Especially if your home is all electric.
You know, if the Okie is out of power, Jeff must be also.
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

Yikes...hope everything for you people up in the Midwest works out.

On a lighter note, does he at least have some briskets to sear with all that lump while he's sitting around??? Idle hands do the devil's work. Keep that 'ol fat boy working!!!

Hate to hear that. Ice storms are wicked. I've been in similar situations so I know what it's like. Thoughts and prayers that all the folks affected get through this safely, warm and dry.

I feel for the Okie. I just came off a 3 day run with no power too. Best wishes to the the Okie family.

I had some broken down maple tree limbs. A big elm, which will burn good in someone's fireplace, broke in half across the fence. I think every thing shed something except those stubborn ol' hickory and walnut trees.

Glad to hear the Okie is alive and well, sad to hear that the storm inflicted all that damage. Hang in there Okie, prayers and best wishes headed your way!

Power is out at my place too. I'm just about 8 miles form Brother Tim. I now happen to be in New Orleans, but I know my wife is home suffering through the cold house and all of those perils. Most of our trees are stripped of limbs, and I'll have to deal with that when I get home.

Brother Tim, I dearly hope you and Cindy are making it through all of this. If there is any way we can help, please let me know.

BTW, I left you a voice message. Please let me know if you got it.

I hope all of you folks are well!

Glad to hear Okie and family are OK. Like Mike said we went through somthing like this back in 2002 also...without power for over a week. Definetley takes it's toll on ya having to stay up and make sure the fire is stoked 24/7. Thoughts and prayers headed there way.

This is definetley not Wunnerfull.....
frown.gif
. Especially around this time of year. Keep us updated if you can Mike and please tell Tim we have him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

Theresa and Bud.

Glad to hear SmokieOkie is safe.
Has anyone heard from glued2it? I think he must be in that area too.

Dang, Kev, forgot you are in the neighborhood also. Hope the wife is doing OK in your absence. Good folks down Tulsa way, I'm sure she has neighbors looking in on her.

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in this mess!! Good luck and hopes for a speedy recovery.

Yup, I'd say it's safe to assume this rilley stinks.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure Tim will fare fine as he is an outdoorsman who knows how to take care of his own as well as himself. I hope the thaw is quick in coming Okie.

My parents just got power back up tonight in Bixby (near Tulsa) after 2.5 days. Sounds like they were fortunate. My bro and family in Tulsa somehow never lost power. The plant I work with in Chickasha, OK never lost power either. (no trees around it I was told)

Hang in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky