Smoking whole ribeye caps... Looking for advice...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tim DeMarco

Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
I am planning to smoke one whole ribeye cap, rolled up in a loin shape and tied together with string. I am looking for any advice before I mess up a good piece of meat. Thanks!!!

Best advise is to stay aware of your IT. Personally, I would smoke at 225º until the IT reaches 115º then sear it on a high temp grill for 2 min x 4 rotations. If you don't want to reverse sear it then continue the smoke until the IT reaches 125º. Pull and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

That’s great advice, and I can’t add much to that. I might rest 15 minutes longer, and with my wife’s family, go to 130 IT in the thinnest part of the roll. My own preference would be not to reverse sear, but that’s just me.

Make sure you put some herbs in your rub. I love rosemary and thyme with beef, along with garlic and onion. Or, if you have the time, wet marinade it overnight in good red wine, fresh onion, garlic, carrot, fresh thyme and rosemary, and olive oil. THEN put a dry rub on with dried versions of the spices and herbs.

Good luck, post pics and results!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky