Smoking turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't wet or dry brine a 9% solution bird. I do put a 50/50 salt sugar blend under the skin just before loading the meat to smoke/cook, dry the skin, oil the skin, then rub. I'm a breast down then up convert for IT control. Old dog, new tricks.

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the Yoder I got is a junker so it's being returned for a refund so no smoked turkey this year. Now to find a grill that is actually built with some semblance of quality, Yoder is not.

Sounds like someone's a Pitts & Spitts employee. haha

Anyone have any experience with duck fat spray? Curious as to the validity of the hype and if it really imparts that much flavor/helps crisping up the skin.

Great advice so far. Much appreciated!

Not a Pitts and spitts employee, I live in Idaho not Texas. I'm a welder/fabricator and mechanic, the Yoder is built using heavy steel but they put a few measly tack welds on their grills to hold them together and told me they don't fully weld them because they would warp, not true at all, especially since they don't have the welder set correctly by the looks of their tack welds or the poor welds on the heat diffuser. For what they charge there is zero excuse for that except being Uber cheap and trying to pinch pennies in exchange for build quality. Plus the Yoder used about 2x's the pellets in the same amount of time or less and the grate temp was not the same as set temp. If the Yoder would do away with all the cheap silicone and fix their pellet consumption and temp issues, I'd buy one. I like their looks better than all the other brands but looks don't cook meat.

Just my two cents but I like pecan wood for my smoke. Brined, spatchcocked, and smoked somewhere around 350 gives it a nice color, crispiness, and taste. This wood is actually the best taste I have had.

Spatchcock, dry rub for 24 hours before, cherry wood smoke. No complaints from anyone!

Would the lumberjack pecan blend work, it's mostly oak like all their blend woods. I do have premium blend, competition blend, fruitwood, and pecan blend. I was thinking either competition or fruitwood.

And no brine of any kind, correct? Since it's a 9% solution bird.

How do you spatchcock? Any good videos? Do I put bird on a rack in a foil tray? Direct on grate? I do have a turkey cannon but not sure it will hold a 22lbs bird

How do you spatchcock? Any good videos? Do I put bird on a rack in a foil tray? Direct on grate? I do have a turkey cannon but not sure it will hold a 22lbs bird
Easiest description: Remove all packing from inside bird. Using poultry shears, cut down one side of backbone from breast to opening, repeat for other side. Save backbone for stock, if you want. Flip bird over so that cut is on the bottom. Spread out cut to the sides, pushing down on top to flatten bird. Should have an even contour on both sides. My preference is to place breast side up on smoker rack.

Or check out these videos [same technique, different applications]:

Would the lumberjack pecan blend work, it's mostly oak like all their blend woods. I do have premium blend, competition blend, fruitwood, and pecan blend. I was thinking either competition or fruitwood.

And no brine of any kind, correct? Since it's a 9% solution bird.

An oak and pecan blend should give you some good smoke.

As for not brining a 9% solution bird, I think you will get differences of opinion on that.
If you did a 2-2.25% salt equilibrium brine I don't think the 9% solution would interfere AND you would pretty much guarantee a moist and tasty bird... as long as you don't over cook it :)

All up to you though :)

How do I do a 2% salt equilibrium brine? Sorry, I'm not a cook and don't wish my cooking on anyone. Guy at work said he brines with chicken broth and herbs.

How do I do a 2% salt equilibrium brine? Sorry, I'm not a cook and don't wish my cooking on anyone. Guy at work said he brines with chicken broth and herbs.

Take the weight of the turkey + the weigh to of the water added (1 gallon water = 8 pounds) and then multiply that number by 0.02 (which is 2%). The number you get is the weight of the salt you need to add in, which makes your 2% equilibrium brine! :)
You can add herbs and other stuff as well just don't add anything that has more salt :)

Reactions: noboundaries
Thank you

No problem. I did a 2.25% plus onion, garlic, and cure #1 for 24 hours (I also injected the liquid into the breast to help spread the cure #1) and man the turkey was great! I oven roasted it due to rainy weather and I have plenty of amazing leftovers for the weekend :)

Best of luck with yours

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky