Smoking Turkey Breast for Turkey Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottyp1292

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Hey All,

I'm planning on smoking a turkey breast on Thanksgiving. I got a 5lb breast and weather is calling for overcast and cold (around freezing). I have a Brinkmann electric smoker and wanted input on timing, brining, and overall advice.

I insulated the smoker so I should be able to hold around 225 or so. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Here is a good brine to start with
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/tips-slaughterhouse-recipes-for-poultry
Or
Pops brine
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine
I brine and defrost at the same time starting 3 days prior to smoke time. I use a 5 gallon bucket in the fridge. You might be able to get away with using those large freezer bags or a Tupperware container to hold yours. Stir twice a day. I pull mine from brine 10 hours prior to smoke time,rinse really well and back in fridge to air cool. 1 hr prior to cook time I start smoker to preheat at max temp(275) in mine. While smoker is preheating I pull bird and coat with extra virgin olive oil and lightly dust with salt and pepper. Hopefully smoker is up to temp and put in smoker. Set temp to 225 and cook till breast is 175 and thigh 180. Usually 30-40 min per lb. normally about 6 hours to cook 12lb bird. I add wood chips every 1hr. Skin will not be crispy. For crispy skin preheat oven to 400 and put in for like 15 min. (I don't do that part). Let rest 20-30 min then carve. Don't be afraid to pull and stick in oven to finish if time is getting close. Good luck. Don't forget to post your qview.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky