Smoking Tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingmac

Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Is it a smart move to smoke tomatoes? Do they stand up to the heat and the smoke well. I am inclined to say no, but am looking for validation.

Hello Kingmac.  You may be wrong.  What are they being used for?  Don't forget sun dried tomatoes.  Oven roasted tomatoes.  Dehydrated tomatoes.  Maybe hot smoked for a short time or cold smoked for longer.  Maybe peel beforehand, maybe not.  I made a joke one night on the forum and the next day Mr T sent me the below link.  My vote is YES they can be smoked, just may need to develop the technique you use for the intended purpose of the tomato.  Hope this helps.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/144163/smoking-lettuce-from-go-to-show-q-view

Thanks Danny. I never gave a thought to how I wanted to use the tomatoes. I like to make my own salsa, and I thought smoked tomatoes would be good. Think I will stick to roasting them over a open grill fire.

cleardot.gif

Hello.  Don't dismiss your idea just yet.  I hope you have looked at my profile and don't just dismiss my advice out of hand because I now live in England.  Being a south Texas boy I thought you were thinking of salsa.  Cold smoking is an option but I'd bet you haven't yet given thought to building a cold smoker.  No, I don't smoke tomatoes for salsa but I have given it thought just as you have ( just been too lazy ).  Many folks here do smoke the tomatoes and jalapenos. I have been doing this for about 40 years.  I would  get the smoker going with good blue smoke.  Cut a cross on the bottom of the tomatoes with a sharp knife, just cutting the skin.  Then I would drop the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Remove them from the boiling water and drop them in a bowel of ice water. When TOTALLY cool to the touch, peel the tomatoes. They could then be smoked by either means.  Smoked tomatoes and smoked jalapenos should make a GREAT salsa.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

1/4/14  1715

This is a good site for our chatting. The idea of smoking tomatoes sounds great, either way you can

put them on a salad. Gives me more to think abt and lose more sleep over, lol.

Chuck (txfshrmn)

After I replied to you, I googled cold smoking and was surprised at the many methods and recommendations. I had really never heard of cold smoking, or I just didn't pay attention. I will now give this method some serious attention. Now that I am fully retired, after 45 years, I can devote my time to cooking, grilling, smoking and to my gardening.

4/15/14  0930

Hello kingmac, Chuck here. As soon as I can get my son to help build my smoke shed, I can get started doing my thing.

I only have SS to rely on.

There is a site out there called " gofundme.com ". would you by any chance know what it is ?.

Have you googled it? 

From what I see on Wikipedia, it is a crowd funding platform. It allows people to raise money for events ranging from life events such as celebrations and graduations to challenging circumstances like accidents and illnesses

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky