Smoking Sunflower Seeds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chad martinell

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
I've searched and saw a couple of older threads about smoking sunflower seeds. I thought about this last night, and will definitely try a batch over the weekend.

My plan is to buy roasted/salted sunflower seeds, then I'll mix them with some olive oil, and add some additional seasoning to them, then smoke them for a couple of hours in low temp (smoke setting on my Traeger Jr.).

I'll put up pictures and let everyone know how it turned out when I get it done (I notice that in the other threads on the subject, the OP never returned with an update!)

Sunflower Seeds are one thing I have not tried yet but it sounds great.  I think a light smoke first being they are so small then if there's not enough smoky flavor then smoke longer.  I will look forward to your update.

Stan

So they turned out really good!

I added olive oil to Trader Joes roasted and salted sunflower seeds, then coated liberally with black pepper. I would go even heavier on the pepper next time. Then I smoked them over applewood for about 1.5 hours on the "smoke" setting on my Treager Jr (200-250F) stirring them every 20 minutes or so.

They are flavorful, salt and pepper with just a hint of smoke. In fact, I would probably go another 1/2 hour next time to try and make the smoke flavor a bit more prominent, but it's definitely there.

I used to spend $3 a bottle on Zotes sunflower seeds. They would last me 1-2 weeks each. They were really good, but this way I can spend just $0.99 on one bag of seeds at Trader Joes and then customize the seasoning and add smoke! They are much cheaper and way better since I can make whatever flavor I want any time I want!!!

You smoked them with the shells on.  I was thinking shells off just the meat.  I am going to have to try them both ways now.  Thanks for the idea.

Stan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky