• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking store bought summer sausage

db28472

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 19, 2013
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has ever improved on a store bought summer sausage with additional smoke/rub or sauce.  I was at a big box store and this big summer sausage cried out to me to buy it.  I've smoke a chub of bologna, so was gonna do about the same, but was just curious about other techniques.  Thanks!

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has ever improved on a store bought summer sausage with additional smoke/rub or sauce.  I was at a big box store and this big summer sausage cried out to me to buy it.  I've smoke a chub of bologna, so was gonna do about the same, but was just curious about other techniques.  Thanks!
Not saying it cant be done but most store bought SS/Bologna is already smoked or smoke flavoring.

Let us know how it turns out.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
I'd probably cold smoke it since it's already cooked. If you hit smoke it it may change the texture of it.

db28472

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 19, 2013
So I gave it a try. I used about 1/4 of the whole sausage in case it ruined it. It didn't. I sliced the section in half lengthwise then cut wedges about halfway through. I gave a little mustard slather then sprinkled with my rub. Into the smoker at 225 with apple wood for about 2 hours. I always love when I discover making something good even better, which happened this time. The texture didn't change. Smoke wasn't overpowering. I guess it is close to a smoked beef hot dog.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.