Smoking store bought summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

db28472

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Whiteville, NC
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has ever improved on a store bought summer sausage with additional smoke/rub or sauce.  I was at a big box store and this big summer sausage cried out to me to buy it.  I've smoke a chub of bologna, so was gonna do about the same, but was just curious about other techniques.  Thanks!

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has ever improved on a store bought summer sausage with additional smoke/rub or sauce.  I was at a big box store and this big summer sausage cried out to me to buy it.  I've smoke a chub of bologna, so was gonna do about the same, but was just curious about other techniques.  Thanks!
Not saying it cant be done but most store bought SS/Bologna is already smoked or smoke flavoring.

Let us know how it turns out.

So I gave it a try. I used about 1/4 of the whole sausage in case it ruined it. It didn't. I sliced the section in half lengthwise then cut wedges about halfway through. I gave a little mustard slather then sprinkled with my rub. Into the smoker at 225 with apple wood for about 2 hours. I always love when I discover making something good even better, which happened this time. The texture didn't change. Smoke wasn't overpowering. I guess it is close to a smoked beef hot dog.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky