Smoking spare rib question....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captok

Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I'm a rookie at smoking ribs.  So sorry if this is a dumb question.

I put the ribs in the smoker for 2.75 hours with a constant 225* temp.  When I look at the ribs the meat is starting to pull back from the bone and I have a internal temp on the ribs of 170.  My question is...can you eat them then???  I did and they tasted great. 

Another question....

Sense I already have an internal temp or 170 will putting them in foil with apple juice for another 2 hours and then out of foil for another hour will this over cook the ribs?

thanks for any info.

Dear rookie:  I'm still looking for your dumb question and I don't see one.  Oh this site, there is no such thing, just a skill you haven't learned yet.

Now, to the meat of your question (can't pass up a pun).  You cooked it and got pull back and were satisfied with the results.  The internal temp is ok if it was measured correctly.  The meat is usually fairly thin and it might be difficult to get a true meat temp.  For the most part, we cook by appearance (pull back) when dealing with pork spare ribs.  You'll find all kinds of methods for time schedules, foiling and no foil, no pull back, some pull back, some tug on the chew, no tug on the chew and we haven't even begun to talk about rubs, sauces, etc, etc.  Oh, and you didn't mention the type of spares you were Qing:  Full rack of spare ribs, St. Louis Cut, or Country Spares (which really aren't a spare rib)  What you need to do is find a starting point from which you can reach out with your "finding the path" you're comfortable with, that produces the results you're looking for, and most importantly (in my book anyway) doesn't make your family, friends or neighbors sick from improper handling or cooking.

I think you've got your starting point established.  It's in the quote below.  2.75, chamber temp 225*, pleasing pull back.  Tasted great.  I've found that keeping notes on each smoke helps with the remembering part down the road, especially when I finally get it right, for a change. 

Others will be checking in with their views on the subject matter which are valid for "them".  Your task is to find what works for you, move on from there to new techniques and just keep moving forward.  Oh, and if you have a question, please ask.  Few people here play "I got a secret".

Now, go smoke something on the "Q".

I'm a rookie at smoking ribs.  So sorry if this is a dumb question.

I put the ribs in the smoker for 2.75 hours with a constant 225* temp.  When I look at the ribs the meat is starting to pull back from the bone and I have a internal temp on the ribs of 170.  My question is...can you eat them then???  I did and they tasted great. 

Another question....

Sense I already have an internal temp or 170 will putting them in foil with apple juice for another 2 hours and then out of foil for another hour will this over cook the ribs?

thanks for any info.

I can't think of a time that I have ever even checked the internal temp of ribs. I always watch for the pull-back and go from there. Maybe your thermo was a little off or maybe you have some lightweight ribs.

Putting them in foil is going to preserve any juice that is still in the ribs, along with still cooking them too. If they were tender and tasted good thats all that matters.

Thanks for the reply's ......

Sorry.  They were St. Louis style pork ribs.  They were tender and tasted great. 

I just read a lot about people smoking them for 6 hours (using the 3-2-1 method) and I'm only cooking mine for 2.75 hours.  Didn't want to over cook them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky