smoking saved my house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

installman

Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Florida
I tried to take Dave's advice and do a packer, but none were available, so I had to settle for a flat. I am still learning how to use the Traeger, and I have already decided I want/need a digital controller for it. The brisket came out really tasty and the plan was to throw some potatoes, onions, and garlic in to smoke while it rested. I had just pulled the brisket out and carried it into the kitchen when the wife started hollering " what are you doing in there, I smell something burning?" I was confused as the brisket didn't smell like something burning, so I set it on the stove and headed for the living room wondering what was going on. As I entered the living room I started to smell something burning too, smelled like electrical wires burning( don't ask how I know that smell lol). We were frantically searching for the source for a few minutes and then my oldest daughter says "dad it's under the fish tank" I ran over and looked in the cabinet and the pump was on fire. I unplugged everything and started yelling for water, and the fire extinguisher. Luckily it only took 2 glasses of water to put it out. Once the fire was out, I went out and put the veggies on the grill and headed to lowes to get some fittings to hook up my spare pump to keep my fish from dying. Once I got back and done with the repairs I realized that this brisket may have saved my house from burning because if I had not been smoking all day we would have most likely been out somewhere when the fire started. After all the excitement  and about a 2 hour rest for the brisket we still had a great dinner.

7 am getting ready to go out.

around 10 am. I threw a couple beef ribs on for the doggies. They get so excited whenever the smoker is going I had to put something in for em.

This was around 2 pm when I brought it in to foil it.

Around 4 when I noticed the digital thermometer was reading 200 and pulled it off in a hurry.

Not much smoke ring, but the flavor was fantastic.

Brisket looks great,

I'm glad your'e story had a good ending 
fire.gif

Wow, great to know that it turned out on a positive note.  Could have been so much worse. Beautiful looking brisket as well, overall EXCELLENT work.

th_violent5.gif

Thanks guys. It would seem this was my lucky week. First I scored the used traeger for a hundred bucks, then a globe commercial slicer 2 days later for a hundred bucks, and then thanks to the fact that I had new toys to play with I was home on Sat afternoon to put out the fire. The brisket turning out so good was icing on the cake.

Thanks guys. It would seem this was my lucky week. First I scored the used traeger for a hundred bucks, then a globe commercial slicer 2 days later for a hundred bucks, and then thanks to the fact that I had new toys to play with I was home on Sat afternoon to put out the fire. The brisket turning out so good was icing on the cake.

Dang! Shoulda bought that Lotto ticket, too! Maybe it's not too late!:sausage:

That is one lucky event - I agree buy a lotto ticket 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky