smoking sausages with fresh colligen casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbishop

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Can i use fresh colligen casings to make some smoked pepperettes? i've got some 7/8" fresh collagen casings from sausagemaker.

Thanks

Sbishop

I don't see why not. I use the smaller casings for snack sticks, I think it is a typical use for the collagen casings.

i see that they mention "This casing is used for fresh sausage only" on their website...so i'm a little hesistant unless someone has used them and they worked great.

Sbishop

DDF, when i hang them in the smoker, what length would you suggest...i'm assuming 2ft length would break? what about 1ft lengths? i've got 3/8" steel rods in the smoker was thinking of letting it hang (lay them over) on the rods?

Last edited:
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have used both fresh and smoked colligen casing for sausage, both smoked and fresh and for sticks. The casing always seem to separate from the meat and or turn rubbery. The product inside is good but the casing isn't, there is no SNAP when you bite into the product like Dare I say it Hillshire farms or other commercially made sausages and kolbassis.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong? I have ask many people and no one had an answer that has worked and I have used casings from several different stores and online companies.

thanks

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have used both fresh and smoked colligen casing for sausage, both smoked and fresh and for sticks. The casing always seem to separate from the meat and or turn rubbery. The product inside is good but the casing isn't, there is no SNAP when you bite into the product like Dare I say it Hillshire farms or other commercially made sausages and kolbassis.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong? I have ask many people and no one had an answer that has worked and I have used casings from several different stores and online companies.

thanks
If you wasn snap, use fresh natural casings

Joe

thanks

Truth is, collagen casings suck, but I do use them for some snack sticks.
As Joe said, use sheep/lamb casings.

~Martin

Last edited:
I have bought and used natural casings for some sausage, I will have to look for the sheep one, I am not sure I ever seen them anywhere. thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky