smoking ribs and fish together?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bruce M.

Original poster
May 26, 2022
As the title says is as I want to do, trout and ribs smoked together.
I wouldn't think that there would be a problem with doing this as far as somehow flavors leaching into each other but wanted to ask the experts first.
Also I plan to smoke the ribs with lump coal for the heat and hickory for the smoke wood, then I want to change over to pecan in the last hour for the trout. Do you see a problem with this thought, should I just smoke the trout with hickory as well.

I was considering this because the smoking temps that I have on this chart shows to smoke them both at around 225*
That and my overseer expressed the desire for the smoked trout, soooooo.

Attachments

• time-temperature-chart copy.pdf
    197.7 KB · Views: 19
I admit that I didn't look at the chart, but I smoke fish at 160° to 180°, and ribs more like 250°.

got it, so in your opinion , and I suspect many others , 225* is probably too hot for smoking trout.
I am all new to this and am learning each smoke I do and this one will be no different in that aspect.
Thank you.

Reactions: DougE
got it, so in your opinion , and I suspect many others , 225* is probably too hot for smoking trout.
I am all new to this and am learning each smoke I do and this one will be no different in that aspect.
Thank you.
I've smoked salmon at 225°, and, while it came out okay, going lower on the temp results in a more moist fish with better texture.

just a report back on how it went and I'd say it was absolutely fantabulous.
I followed SmokinAl's method for the ribs they were so freaking juicy and smoky, everyone really enjoyed and they were a big hit.
The trout was no slouch in second place IMO.
I just did a simple dry rub of garlic and herb along with some butter and lemon. I got the smoker down to around 205* for 1,1/4 hours, it temp was at 152*
and perfect to my wife's liking (I'm not a big fish eater, just like the catching part)
Anyway I'm horrible with taking action shots with anything I do and this is no exception, sorry no pics but I will say I was impressed with myself and the smoke ring on the ribs.

Reactions: DougE
If you are going to do that, use a separate smoker just for fish. The fish smell will get on everything. I wouldn't smoke them in the same smoker. It will ruin the ribs.

If you are going to do that, use a separate smoker just for fish. The fish smell will get on everything. I wouldn't smoke them in the same smoker. It will ruin the ribs.
Yes, I agree with you. The smell of the fish is extremely strong and it will be hard to get rid of it

I did end up smoking them at the same time. The fish at the cool exhaust end (205*~) and the ribs at the hotter end (233*~).
I didn't detect any fish oder or taste mixed between meats at all and as I said earlier it really came out great, in my not so humble opinion.:emoji_wink:
Just thinking out loud, but do you feel the fish, or any meat for that matter will impart their flavors to neighboring meats or is it rather what they are giving off, as far as flavors goes, overpowered by the smoke from the wood.
And if that's the case do we have separate smokers for fish, beef, game meats etc...

Glad it worked out for you .
Might want to fire up the smoker and see if you get any fishy smell .
I grilled some fish on my Genesis 310 . It was good . 3 days later I fired it up to do some sausages , and the fish smell was over powering . I've since got it cleaned up and it's fine , but that was just one cook with fish .

Glad it worked out for you .
Might want to fire up the smoker and see if you get any fishy smell .
I grilled some fish on my Genesis 310 . It was good . 3 days later I fired it up to do some sausages , and the fish smell was over powering . I've since got it cleaned up and it's fine , but that was just one cook with fish .
What I do to get rid of the fish smell is after I pull the fish out instead of turning off the smoker, I crank up the heat all the way for 30 minutes or so and it burns all the smelly stuff to carbon (note: I've learned the hard way to set a timer on my phone to remember to turn it off)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky