Smoking Pork Loins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaybird28

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Seattle, Washington
OMG

My wife and I just had an appy at The Public House in Port Townsend and it was Pork Lions. All we could think about was smoking these bad boys. I've never seen them at a major grocery store so I  assume a butcher is in order. Not sure how they cooked them but the amount of meat was better then a pork rib. Any advise for purchasing and smoking would be greatly appreciated

OMG

My wife and I just had an appy at The Public House in Port Townsend and it was Pork Lions. All we could think about was smoking these bad boys. I've never seen them at a major grocery store so I  assume a butcher is in order. Not sure how they cooked them but the amount of meat was better then a pork rib. Any advise for purchasing and smoking would be greatly appreciated
Here a while back I did what I called a bone-in pork loin, it was basically the same as a beef crown rib roast only it come off the oinker. I even frenched the bone ends. It was a delicious cut of meat that even I couldn't mess up.

Here's my Q-View if its what you are talking about, I highly recommend it. BUT I would save it to fix for sometime when you seriously need those brownie points for the bride. By a new gun, joint the country club, get that red Jaguar, that kind of brownie points....LOL It really is good stuff!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155594/pork-crown-rib-roast

I caught it on sale around Christmas, got 2 of these and 2 each 5 bone prime ribs roasts. These are usually sold around Christmas cause everyone has that "I just don't care what it costs" feeling. LOL

Hope its what you are looking for info about and I hope it helps.

Not to be sticking my nose in other folks business by any means..but in my book the highest calling for a boneless pork loin is to be cut into fat loin steak..(no not boneless porkchops..thats an oxymoron) give them a 2 hour hot water brine of which I know the recipe..and cook mins per side on a hot gasser. Could make a person want to slap somebody's Mama. Not any of our Mamas of course. They are way too lean to smoke. Get a grip here. Thanks. Once they break 150 they turn into knotty pine.

Last edited:
Jay Bird,

We call those western style, country style ribs here in the midwest.  Cut about 3/4" to 1"thick very little fat on the edge.  Great on the BBQ too!

RG

I stand corrceted by my wife. They were a shank, not a Lion. Back to any advise cause they were an appy at this joint for $9 for three shanks.

Well I had to go google up what is a shank. It was it was a persons leg from the knee to the ankle. Where did you buy that stuff? We may need to call the cops.

If it's a shank, then low, slow, and moist (think braised) is how to break down all

that collagen and connective tissue.. I, too wonder how the restaurant did them -

maybe braise for 3 hours then hit the smoke?  Doesn't seem right.

Also, good thing they weren't a Lion.  Just saying.

No no no...never. That spritizing stuff was invented in Noo Yawk City or some place like that. It washes off the goodie and slows down the cooking. Dont make me come up there. Thanks.

Please Do Come Up, I could Use Some Help. Thanks For the Advice. No spritzing. Another Question, Does The Fat Side Go Up Or Down On The Rack?

Pork loin came out ok. It was a little pink so I finished in the oven for 45 minutes. I pulled at 150 Deg IT and let it rest for an hour.

Last edited:
The Spritzers must be blocking our transmissions. I am having trouble too. Anyway the worst thing a person can do to half pork loin is cook it too low or slow. I give 30 mins per side on normal model with a lot of smoke over a medium hot fire. When it hits 150 wrap with Mr. Tinfoil and stick in the insulated box for at least an hour. The flavor is all on the outside but that is the hazards of cooking big hunks of meat. That is why I like to slice in thick steaks and grill. Much more flavorful.

Anyway the worst thing a person can do to half pork loin is cook it too low or slow.
I'm afraid I have to kindly disagree with that. I smoke a lot of loins & they always come out great. Very moist & flavorful.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/134530/todays-smoke-pork-loin-with-homemade-wine-peppercorn-sauce

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/136058/meal-for-tonight-smoked-loin-with-honey-apple-sauce

It is actually very easy to smoke a pork loin at lower temps. 
2thumbs.gif

Making me mighty hungry over here. Now how long are we going to slow smoke these two pound chunks of loin?  Yall are crazy peeples.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky