Smoking in SE Arizona

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another smoker here, checking in from Green Valley. I always try to fire up my smoker when I am in town. I drive long haul, so my family always fire it up when I am home.

Question does anyone know of a good pit builder? My COS has cancer and now has 2 small holes not really in the market yet, just checking around.View attachment 432994View attachment 432995View attachment 432996

Depending on the size of the holes, you could patch them with Hi Temp JBWeld. This would be a temporary fix that would buy you some time.

As you can see we are very limited in pit builders down here.
You could give T&R Ironworks a call and see if a custom build is something they could accomplish. I am not sure if they would want you to provide them with calculations etc and who knows what the final price would be.

Other options are what you are already considering.

Reactions: dragon51
Depending on the size of the holes, you could patch them with Hi Temp JBWeld. This would be a temporary fix that would buy you some time.

As you can see we are very limited in pit builders down here.
You could give T&R Ironworks a call and see if a custom build is something they could accomplish. I am not sure if they would want you to provide them with calculations etc and who knows what the final price would be.

Other options are what you are already considering.

Thank you I will look into them.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
The wife and I were at Wallymart last week. They had a Masterbuilt 560 gravity fed on display. I was seriously considering bringing one home until my wife gave me that "look".

Lol
My wife is cool about that stuff. She loves when I grill or smoke stuff up.

Mine is too.
She was just questioning why I was considering another electrically controlled smoker since I always complain about not being able to use the electric smoker on rainy days.

Reactions: dragon51
Another option... I just picked up a couple of smooth sided, removable lid 55 gallon drums from this guy:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/d/tucson-55-gallon-metal-barrels/7074034328.html

$30/ea and a great barrel to start your own ugly drum smoker from. The two I got were both unlined. Apparently they had sealed bags of silicone in them. Won't take much to turn these into great cookers.

That is always an idea.
Good find on unlined drums too.
The lined drums are a real huge PITA to prep properly.

I thought so, too. That's why I grabbed two of them! I'm seasoning a Hunsaker drum right now, but I can definitely make these 2 work out for a lot cheaper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky