Smoking Firewood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NJbeernque

Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Hi, NJ BBQ crew

I will receiving an offset smoker soon and have been trying to find firewood. Everything I have found was kiln dried which from what I read isn’t great for BBQ. My question is where can I find good oak or hickory logs/splits? I live in Monmouth county but willing to drive if necessary. Thanks again for any info or tips

I wouldn’t shy away from kiln dried wood

I’ve used kiln dried wood before and didn’t notice anything wrong with it. What were you told is the problem with it?
What smoker do you have coming?

I use just about any kind of wood I can find. Mostly oak & hickory around here cause it’s cheap. But lately I have been buying mesquite and am loving the flavor. It is a bit pricey So I mix in a split every second or third split. Don’t know if it’s kiln dried, but I suspect it is. Still love it.
Al

I cut firebox sized slices of Oak from my firewood, but usually get Hickory and Mesquite at Home Depot. I have no idea if it's kiln dried or not, but it smokes...

Thanks for the replies, I read an article from Aaron franklin saying that kiln dried can lose flavor due to have dry and fast it burns. I was just seeing the consensus was around in the area. If you can believe it I won a Primitive Pits backyard model called “the Babe.” Previously I have been using a Large BGE.

Thanks for the replies, I read an article from Aaron franklin saying that kiln dried can lose flavor due to have dry and fast it burns. I was just seeing the consensus was around in the area. If you can believe it I won a Primitive Pits backyard model called “the Babe.” Previously I have been using a Large BGE.
We like smoker pics.......

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky