Smoking Chuck Roast - how long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawtsauc3

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
I've dialed in my process on ribs and chicken pretty well but not so much with beef. I've done chuck roasts before but the first time was pretty dry and the 2nd time I cheated and finished in a crock pot, which I might do if I have to. That said, if i'm trying to avoid the cheater method and have a pretty hefty chuck roast (4lbs, 4" thick, 6" wide) what timing should I anticipate at 250*. I'm thinking this could be a 6-8 hour smoke but wasn't sure how far off I'd be.

It's done when it's done. I take to 205F IT. I average 90m/lb so your estimate sounds good to me.

I used Bears info in his steps . Came out fantastic . Give that a look .

If you are going for pulled meat I like to take mine to 210. Probe test it make sure there is no resistance. Also panning it at about 160 with some low sodium beef broth will speed up the process and help tenderize it. Like zwiller said above there is not really a set time. Did these awhile back. First pic is when I pulled them to wrap, the other is the finished product.
Chuck5.jpg

Chuck8.jpg

I'm thinking this could be a 6-8 hour smoke but wasn't sure how far off I'd be.
Last one I did was 3 lbs. I wrapped at 165 , and it didn't probe tender until it hit 211 .
Smoker temp was 260 ish . 14 inch WSM .
Edit
Forgot to say it took 11 hours .

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
If you are going for pulled meat I like to take mine to 210. Probe test it make sure there is no resistance. Also panning it at about 160 with some low sodium beef broth will speed up the process and help tenderize it. Like zwiller said above there is not really a set time. Did these awhile back. First pic is when I pulled them to wrap, the other is the finished product.
View attachment 473482
View attachment 473483
That a whole shoulder clod roast???

I do mine similar to Chopsaw, wrap around 165 with a few pats of butter and some additional seasoning. I take mine up to about 195. I like to slice it and this seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Reactions: chopsaw and TNJAKE
I like around 198 for sliced.
Jake , The one I talked about above never would pull . All the way to 211 . Sliced it was so tender .
Only reason I bring it back up , is because I tied it with a string around the middle . Any thoughts on if that would affect the out come ? Slice vs pulled ?
20190723_181417.jpg
20190723_180744.jpg

Jake , The one I talked about above never would pull . All the way to 211 . Sliced it was so tender .
Only reason I bring it back up , is because I tied it with a string around the middle . Any thoughts on if that would affect the out come ? Slice vs pulled ?
View attachment 473499
View attachment 473500
I have smoked alot of chucks. Some are stubborn no matter what you do. But for pulled the rest is very important. I like a couple hours in a cooler. I've hit 212 and had a short rest and was still not the greatest pulled beef. So my belief is for pulled that sustained high temp rest is key. Pulled is my favorite chuck btw

Reactions: chopsaw
I can throw a 15 lb packer in the smoker at 225-250F, wrap it at 180-185F, and know that by the time the clock rolls by 12-14 hours the flat will probe tender enough to pull it off the smoker and throw it in a 170F oven for a 3-5 hour rest. It will be divine.

A friggin' 4 lb chuck roast might be done in 6 hours, or 8, or even 12. Who knows? Chuckies can drive you to the brink of insanity. Nowadays, I only smoke pulled chuckies. 3-4 hours in the smoker at 225-250F, wrap with veggies and broth matching the flavor profile I want, and either finish probe tender in the smoker or the oven, usually another 2-4 hours at 275F.

Man, chuckies are ornery.

Just about every Chucky I've done pulled pretty easy except for one area about 3" in Diameter. If I knew how to add arrows or circles on a picture, I could point out exactly where it always is. In Text, all I can say is it is near the center of it's width, and closer to one end than the other end.

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
I have done chuckles every way you can think of, but I would rather do a butt & have PP. I have sliced them, pulled them, & even cubed them for beef Bourgonyone(spelling). But I still like a good old PP sammie, with a side of beans, & slaw!
Al

A friggin' 4 lb chuck roast might be done in 6 hours, or 8, or even 12. Who knows? Chuckies can drive you to the brink of insanity.
Yeah this is kind of my thoughts haha. I know the first time I did one it was about 6 hours for a 2lber but was a tad dry. 2nd time I "cheated" and finished in the crock pot and it was perfection. This time around i wanted to test out the fireboard 2 drive so I was debating if trying to do 8 hours would be worth it. Ultimately I've settled on running it 5-6 hours and then finishing in a crock pot at that point. It's enough to imbue the smoke flavor and let me test out this new controller.

Pan my chucks when they get desired bark with a little beef broth. Smoke till probe tender.
As mentioned temp could be anywhere from 200-210 .

Some of you kind folks talk about "foiling" a chuck--some talk about "panning" a chuck . When you PAN a chuck roast, do you cover the pan with foil ?

Some of you kind folks talk about "foiling" a chuck--some talk about "panning" a chuck . When you PAN a chuck roast, do you cover the pan with foil ?
That’s exactly the question I had, and no answer. I’m smoking one today. Think I’ll top it with foil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky