Smoking Catfish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rayteagarden

Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Cookeville, Tennessee
Hello to all, new Member here.

Years ago when living in Southern California we (wife and I) ocean fished and smoked our catch, mostly yellowtail and Mackeral. We used a “Little Chief†top loader with an electric hot plate, our fish came out great. We would have brought the “Little Chief†with us but the whole truck trailer of household goods would have smelled of smoke so it stayed in California.

Now we‘re retired to Tennessee where we fish fresh water and folks here say smoked Catfish is wonderful.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m on this site to learn the best process to smoke Catfish and impress all our hillbilly (in a good sense) neighbors. We expect that with your help this will be a fun project.

One of our neighbors has loaned me his smoker, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a Brinkmann Smokâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]n Grill as pictured here
3cb5127f_vbattach11481.jpg

ebe93a53_vbattach11342.jpg

769e8296_vbattach11205.jpg

7afc7d07_vbattach11063.jpg

Welcome to SMF, Ray glad to have you with us. Have looked at the Fish Forum? Should be plenty of ideas for you there.

Randy-Thanks for posting the recipe. I love Tilapia but like anything else, there is only so many ways to fix it without having to resort to deep frying them.

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

Randy, I will give your recipe a try when the weather warms a bit. As I type this it is snowing here in middle Tennessee and these 73 year old bones resist venturing outside into the cold.

Welcome to the SMF Ray! I got excited when I saw your post as I too am looking to smoke some catfish. I've done salmon and was successfull and it sounds like catfish is next. I can get the filet's at the grocery but I bet a nice fresh catch would work out better.
LoL!

pyro

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky