Smoking Brisket/ Beef Ribs/ Chickens and on MAK 2 Star (and done about same time!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedlover

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Portland, OR
I did a full packer brisket (trimmed to 1/8" fat cap - 11.75 lbs) beef short ribs (2 racks) and 3 full chickens all on low smoke and wanted them finished as close to the same time and was able to do so all within 30 minutes. Here is how I set it up:

4th of July: 8pm: Prepped the brisket and the ribs the night before with a light olive oil and dijon mustard coating. Then I applied a dry rub of black pepper, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, cascabel pepper, onion powder, garlic, and ground cumin seed. Brisket sat for 5 hours with rub before going on smoker. Watched great fireworks from the deck.

5th of July:

1230am: I fired up the smoker and got it to 205F. 

1am:      Brisket went on- bottom rack.. (Picture 1  )

9am:      Moved smoker to 225F. Also added large ramekin of beef bullion to maintain moisture. 

920am:  Ribs went on - top rack. Brisket was mid stall at 153F.

1040am: Chickens went on. Used same prep as brisket and ribs but also stuffed the cavities with fresh rosemary and removed (yes removed) the skin before the olive oil and dijon mustard- the purpose was to let the rub penetrate the chicken and the light bark seals in the juices. Very moist when done.(Picture 2)

12pm:    Check in- Ribs @ 180F, Brisket @ 176F, Chicken @ 104F.

2pm:      Check in- Ribs @ 200F, Brisket @ 192F, Chicken @ 153F. 

245pm:  Check in- Ribs @ 200F, Brisket @ 198F, Chicken @ 160F. Pulled the Ribs, foiled, and put them in the warming box on the side of the MAK 2 Star.

320pm:  Check in- Brisket @ 198F, Chicken @ 162F. Pulled both and tented on cutting boards to let juices settle into meat.

345pm:  Carved early because kids were getting hungry and restless. Ribs and chicken were great with incredible smoke penetration on ribs of more than 1/4". The brisket was really good but juices hadn't matriculated and settled quite to where I would have liked them, though the smoker ring was great and again a little over 1/4" deep. No off grill pics- had a horde of hungry people that would have sliced me up if I tried to take pictures. 

Stats:

Brisket: 14 hours, 20 minutes. 205 for 8 hours, 225 for 6 hours, 20 minutes. 25 minutes of rest. (Could have used another 30 minutes.)

Beef Ribs: 5 hours, 25 minutes 225. 1 hour of rest. (perfect all around.)

Chickens:  4 hours, 20 minutes. 25 minutes of rest. (perfect.)

Pellets: 3/4 Hickory, 1/4 Cherry. (Pellets are 1/4 alder and 3/4 flavored wood.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky