smoking bluegills,large mouth bass

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Trying to smoke large mouth for the first time. I have done just about everything except fish, though I have spent a great deal of time with some pro catfish smokers. I headed them, gutted them, scales on, in a brine of salt, worcestershire, and soy. The plan is a 20 hour soak, and an apple/cherry combination. I left the scales on, only because the old-timers I knew that smoked alot of carp always left them on. I don't think it will make much difference. I will post the results tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

Good Afternoon
I have smoked both largemouth, catfish,crappie, and bluegill with excellent results. I only brine fillets for 3 to 4 hours in a Kosher Salt and Brown Sugar brine spiced up with Orange and Lemon Sections with either Fresh Thyme or Rosemary and a few garlic cloves. Then I smoke with either Apple or Alder Dust in my AMNPS for 4 hours. They go in the fridge to vent off some of the smoke and are then vacuum sealed the next day. I use them for a kipper like dish sautéed with onions or blended with cream cheese, dill, chives , garlic and fresh ground pepper to make a smoke fish spread every bit as good as smoked trout. I have done small catfish whole without the heads and fins and then sautéed them with onions for a English breakfast of fake kippers with good results. Fresh fish combined with a good brine and smoked lightly equals good eating.
mds51

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky