Smoking as I speak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

66galaxie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Hey all,
I'm new here, ahd look forward to learning a lot.
I'm smoking some pork spareribs right now. I had them on the smoke for 3 1/2 hours and started to get worried about them getting too smoky so I wrapped them in foil. I dont use sauce just a dry rub.
My question is: is it ok to have the ribs in the foil without a liquid?
I figured I would leave them in the foil for an hour or so, then take them back out and finish them that way.
any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

By putting them in foil, yor are Braising. The Braising process requires moisture. You may be OK if there is enough water and fat from the ribs but maybe not. I would add about 1/4 cup apple juice ASAP.

Regards,
Aubrey Page
---------------
OTBS 007

I agree with Aubrey, Put a little liquid in the foil. Don't have to be much but something or they can pick up a metal taste :evil: .

Glad to see you lurking around Aubrey 8)

If you really want to find out, add juice to one rack and leave one rack juiceless. My suspicion is that it will turn out fine either way. I used to do ribs on the grill wrapped in foil with no juice and it worked ok for me.

Yea Cajunsmoker, the rumors of my demise are premature. I haven't been smoking much this summer, it's just been too hot here in the Lone Star State. So when I'm not smokin, I probably don't pay much attention to the forum.

When it's 106 outside it's hard to control the temperature of the smoker. Even when the flame of the old GOSM is at it's lowest setting, it doesn't take much heat to get out of control. And also with the way the GOSM works, the smaller flame does not heat up the firebox enough to generate adequate smoke. I did cook three pork shoulders yesterday though. We had a cool spell, just into the upper 90's. Desperate times, I was out of barbecue!

Also I had a reply to my old topic on Starnes sauce that got me back into the fold. Nice to hear from you.

Regards,
Aubrey Page

------------------
OTBS 007

Thanks for the info everbody :)
I didn't get to see the replies until I was done.

I ended up just leaving the ribs wrapped in the foil (no liquid) for about 1to 1 1/2 hours. I must have lucked out, there was enough juice from the ribs that they stayed juicy.
Anyway I took them out of the foil and put them back in for maybe a half hour and went to check them. The one slab fell apart on the narrow end. The other slabs I left on for about 45 more minutes.
They were pretty dang good I have to admit. The first slab was super tender and the other two had more pronounced flavor.
Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'll be posting and reading here more!

pictures remember pictures.

It is tough for us to smell the ribs from here but sure gives a good idea if we can see the ribs.

Hope the next time you have an even better set of ribs.

Glad to see you here and hope the temps drop down a bit for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky