Smoking and Grilling Rib-Eye's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mossymo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2007
Glenburn, North Dakota
Lightly coated the rib-eye's with a little garlic flavored extra virgin olive oil and seasoned them with Tatonka Dust seasoning.

-----

Warming up the Yoder on a blustery evening, really got to get the Yoder's smoking jacket on her.

-----

Into the smoker for a 150º cold smoke for an hour or so with whiskey barrel wood pellets.

-----

Cranked up the Yoder for some wood fired searing on the GrillGrates.

-----

Kind of a cool pic with the fire and sparks...

-----

Rib-eye's just off the grill.

-----

Rib-eye's resting before serving with a few tabs of Tatonka Dust seasoned butter.

-----

Tatonka Dust seasoned rib-eye, shrimp seasoned with Seafood Splash and some mixed veggies of diced potatoes and green beans.

Thanks for looking!

Looks fantastic!  I've never thought about using olive oil as part of the seasoning process.  What or should I say how does it help (aside from the garlic in yours)?

Wow, I would be mighty pleased to get a meal like that in a fine restaurant. Well done! 

Disco

Hey MossyMo,

Yer makin my mouth water for a ribeye before breakfast!  Well, nothin wrong with a Ribeye for breakfast, I guess-  Got a couple questions for ya-

I'm a proud new owner of a Yoder, I really like it, especially for long smokes, where I get some decent smoke flavor. I've got a AMNPTS, which seems to work pretty good, although the color of the smoke doesn't seem to be right. It's usually kinda white. Have you noticed this?

Also, just wondering how you set up your yoder with the grill grates. Looks like you've got the plate removed, but something under the regular grates on the right side?

I'm in MN, so same crap weather here. Do you have/use the insulated cover?  Ya think its worth the $$?

Thanks for any advice you can give, happy smokin!

Mark

Great looking steaks there Mossy. I am from the great state of ND also where do u find such beautiful steaks?

Hey a fellow North Dakotan! Those steaks were from SAM's Club, we have pretty good luck with their steaks if you are a little picky and watch for good marbling.

Last edited:
Hey MossyMo,

Yer makin my mouth water for a ribeye before breakfast! Well, nothin wrong with a Ribeye for breakfast, I guess- Got a couple questions for ya-
I'm a proud new owner of a Yoder, I really like it, especially for long smokes, where I get some decent smoke flavor. I've got a AMNPTS, which seems to work pretty good, although the color of the smoke doesn't seem to be right. It's usually kinda white. Have you noticed this?

Also, just wondering how you set up your yoder with the grill grates. Looks like you've got the plate removed, but something under the regular grates on the right side?

I'm in MN, so same crap weather here. Do you have/use the insulated cover? Ya think its worth the $$?

Thanks for any advice you can give, happy smokin!

Mark

Hey Mark my Minnesota neighbor!

As far as white smoke goes I would start by asking what brand of pellets you use. There is a difference in the quality of the manufacturing of them, both in materials used, percentages of flavored wood used and if they use flavored oils. For the most part we use Lumberjack Brand pellets.

GrillGrates are great to use for sear marks and honestly do add to the taste! When using the GrillGrates in the Yoder we never use the heat deflector as we want direct heat and flame. Under the normal grates in the Yoder there is nothing under the grate except the adjustable baffle and the belly of the cook chamber.

We do have the insulated cover, just have not put it on yet... lazy I guess... It is definitely worth it, saves heat and pellet consumption, makes for quicker recap of heat after the lid has been opened and makes for more even cooking in cold weather. I just need to get the smoking jacket out the of the shed and put it back on for winter!

Last edited:
Looks fantastic!  I've never thought about using olive oil as part of the seasoning process.  What or should I say how does it help (aside from the garlic in yours)?

Been playing around with the olive oil and different flavors of olive oil for a while now. Last night we did the steaks again without and olive oil and am thinking we like them better with out as seem to get a better char on the steaks without the olive oil. It is all about preference...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky