Smoking a turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncage

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Hey guys, just curious i'm sure there are plenty of you that have smoked a turkey in here. Do you actually prefer smoked or roasted turkey? The thing i know i'll miss i smoke it is the turkey gravy and maybe the crisp skin. I found the "Slaughter House Poultry Brine" recipe here so i will brine the bird for about 24 hours. I've heard there might be a way to get gravy even though you have smoked a bird but i don't know but smoked gravy doesn't sound appealing to me. If i smoke it i'll probably throw it on my masterbuilt electric smoker since it will be a lot easier than my WSM. If i had a pellet grill i'd use that but unfortunately i don't. Believe it or not this will be the first turkey i've ever fixed (fixed a turkey breast before only).

I smoked my first turkey Thanksgiving day & did it breast up in a roasting pan to save the drippings for gravy & speed up cleanup. The gravy definitely had a smoke flavor to it, but it was a big hit. I used the same brine, & the gravy retained some of that flavor. It ended up a delicious combo.

If you have a WSM or any other charcoal grill then use that....Don't use the watt burner.  Poultry is best done @ 325-350 and last time i checked watt burners can't get that hot.   Also you'll get better flavor from the WSM so why not use it?
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
      I sure don't get the "easier" thing at all. 

I did 2 turkeys this year one on my UDS and the other my Jimmy (jumbo mini) and  they put the other turkeys we had to shame. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky