Smoking a Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herzmike

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Smoking a Turkey for the 1st. time. it's a 20 lb. bird at what temperature and how long should I smoke it?

That's awful big for smoking from what I've been reading. I'm guessing you need to smoke it hot and fast. I'll wait for others for an exact temp but I'm guessing well over 300 for that size bird to get out of the danger zone.

A good meat thermometer is a sound investment, it helps insure no one could get sick, and it guarantees that even your mess ups are delicious. But if you must go old school here is a time temp chart.

Right click and open in a new tab, it will expand so you can read it. The only way to smoke by time and temp properly is thru many many experiences. Again I highly recommend you chase down a good meat thermometer. If you plan to continue smoking you might look into a remote or RF meat thermometer. Life just don't get much better.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions ...........

Remember to enjoy the smoke.....

Last edited:
Good link Foam.

Smoke as high as your smoker will go.

I cook turkeys at 300 - 350.

Thank you everyone for your advice,going to smoke as high as my smoker will go. We let you know how it turns out
icon_mrgreen.gif

With the bird that big I like to take the backbone out and spatchcock. Here's mine it was 18 pounds I put it in the brine with apple juice salt sugar peppercorns onions and two cans of Sierra Nevada pale ale.
[ATTACHMENT=1024]image.jpg (1,292k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=1025]image.jpg (1,317k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

You have to put the bird down on what was its back and press really hard on the breast to break the breastbone the remaining Rib bones to flatten the bird.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky