SMOKING A CHUCK ROAST

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Greetings smokers! A few days ago I posted my smoke of a 4.5 pound chuck roast. First time with a chuck roast and it was fantastic. The chopped BBQ beef sandwiches were very good and I have plenty vac packed beef put away for additional sandwiches etc. I would like to know if there are other beef roast cuts that will smoke well. I suddenly am hooked on beef roast smoking. Thanks in advance for your response.

I have used pulled chuck for burrito's. Good use of it In my opinion.

DSC01530.jpg

If your wanting fall apart beefy goodnes for sandwiches your already on the right track with the chuckies . but if your wanting to try some other cuts I really like the eye of round cooked medium rare and sliced thin. ..... Cheap cut and done right its top notch!

Reactions: Hawging It
Eye of round had gone over $6/# around here.
Chucks are still reasonable.
Sirloin tip goes on sale periodically. Marketing name as it is actually rump meat that happens to connect to the lower sirloin. Leaner than a chuck, but great flavor

Reactions: Hawging It
Thanks for the like Hawging It it is appreciated.

Went to a Christmas party where they had smoked a Prime Rib way to long it was a pulling consistency was not enjoyable.

Warren

What is a clod?
Big hunk of beef from the shoulder. Also might wanna give beef cheeks a try. Very flavorful and pulls amazingly
Answer was a bit short.
A chuck roast is cut from the clod which is the shoulder. There is "designer cuts" from the clod that sound fancy, but are basically tough chewy shoulder unless cooked properly ... flat iron, pub cut, or chuck steak. Much of the clod goes for ground beef.

SmokinAl SmokinAl Never thought about using a brisket for shredded (pulled) beef.
Reality is returning.
Today I saw prime brisket at local Costco for under $3/# and also found eye of round roast for under $3/#. No I didn't purchase as I have both in the freezers that are near capacity

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky