Smoking a Christmas butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
My wife talked me into smoking a Boston Butt for Christmas eve supper. Boy did she ever have to twist my arm.....NOT! It is in the GOSM right now. The outside temp is 31 and the smoker is holding steady at 236. Crap, I forgot to get pics before she went in the smoker. Oh well, I will try to get some before and after the pull.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:13-14

Just remember no pics and it didn't happen.
icon_lol.gif

It sounds good but I'll have to go along with Meateater

worthless.gif

roflmao.gif

ROTF.gif

roflmao.gif

Have a great smoke and a Merry Christmas

Well, as it turns out, Christmas eve was such a hectic day, I failed to get any pictures.

The butt went in at 10PM on the 23rd. At 5:30AM I checked the temp and the butt was at 170 and the smoker was at 265. I opened up the vent at the top to cool it down and got it to 236, foiled the butt and went back to bed. When I got up 2 hours later, the butt had only managed to climb to 172. From there it began to climb in temp again.  By 11AM the butt reached 200 and out she came. Wrapped it in a massive pillow and placed it in the cooler. Much to my surprise, at 5:30PM when I took it out to pull it, it was still too hot to handle. That cooler trick really works.

Everyone enjoyed the pulled pork with most going back for seconds and thirds. There was less than a handful left over. Boy, was it good!

Merry Christmas everyone!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky