Smoking a Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scooter_1968

Original poster
Oct 10, 2018
I'm about to pull the trigger on a nice temp control module the BGE Egg Genius. Since I've tried smoking brisket twice and both time were an epic failure way to dry. I dont recall what temp and cook time i had on both since it's been awhile. So my question is can someone pls tell me the correct way to smoke a brisket so that I get a nice smoke ring all the way around it, and when i cut a piece off and lay it across the knife blade its limp and when i pull it apart it has just a slight tug to pull it apart. This is the only meat that I have issues with and they are costly. TIA.

scott
Large BGE and a large kamado Joe

1. Use a good injection. If you have none beef broth is better than nothing.

2. Smoke between 225-250 degrees. Don’t trust any smokers thermo. Buy and use a good thermo so you know your ambient temp is spot on.

3. At 197ish start proving the brisket in multiple spots. When it goes in nice and easy it’s done. This could be anywhere between 197-205 degrees.

4. Let the brisket rest for at least a half hour (I let them sit an hour) before slicing. Slicing right off the smoker is NO good.

This should help you out a lot. But the truth is brisket is a tough meat to master. Practice makes perfect but it’s expensive to practice with brisket. Just stay consistent and you’ll get it down. 2 tries with brisket ain’t gonna help you a ton. Keep notes on your smokes and make sure you keep your temps logged and how it affected the meat that day.

Good luck,
Scott

Also if you can swing it buy a prime brisket. It’ll cost you but it makes a big difference!

Scott

I'm about to pull the trigger on a nice temp control module the BGE Egg Genius. Since I've tried smoking brisket twice and both time were an epic failure way to dry. I dont recall what temp and cook time i had on both since it's been awhile. So my question is can someone pls tell me the correct way to smoke a brisket so that I get a nice smoke ring all the way around it, and when i cut a piece off and lay it across the knife blade its limp and when i pull it apart it has just a slight tug to pull it apart. This is the only meat that I have issues with and they are costly. TIA.

scott
Large BGE and a large kamado Joe
Hi there and welcome!

As stated above. Get and use reliable meat probe thermometer. Put the probe(s) into the Thickest yet center most portion of Flat of the brisket... not the point! I always recommend a wireless dual probe (or more probes) thermometer like the ThermoPro TP20 but there are many out there that will do the trick.

IMPORTANT: A brisket is done when it is tender. The Internal Temp (IT) of the brisket is going to tell you WHEN to check for tenderness. You check for tenderness by stabbing ALL OVER with a toothpic, skewer, etc. and when it goes in and out ALL OVER like butter then it is done! It is often recommended to check for tenderness at an IT of 195F and keep checking every couple of degrees or so. If you have your temp probe in a correct spot (which is difficult to do) then often around 201-204F'ish the brisket will finally tell you that it is tender. BTW it takes me 3 probes into the flat to get a good reliable placement for a Brisket temp I can rely on :)

As for what smoker temp to use that is your preference. Briskets can handle from smoker temps 225F - 400F. I do mine at 275F because I don't like waiting for days to cook and eat my brisket and I like it to be done more quickly to avoid losing as much moisture as it may lose over a longer lower temp smoke.

Finally don't be afraid to trim your brisket so that the thin portions are removed and don't burn up while cooking. You can throw that good meat in later to cook if you like or save it for something else. See the following image.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: scooter_1968
1. Use a good injection. If you have none beef broth is better than nothing.

2. Smoke between 225-250 degrees. Don’t trust any smokers thermo. Buy and use a good thermo so you know your ambient temp is spot on.

3. At 197ish start proving the brisket in multiple spots. When it goes in nice and easy it’s done. This could be anywhere between 197-205 degrees.

4. Let the brisket rest for at least a half hour (I let them sit an hour) before slicing. Slicing right off the smoker is NO good.

This should help you out a lot. But the truth is brisket is a tough meat to master. Practice makes perfect but it’s expensive to practice with brisket. Just stay consistent and you’ll get it down. 2 tries with brisket ain’t gonna help you a ton. Keep notes on your smokes and make sure you keep your temps logged and how it affected the meat that day.

Good luck,
Scott
Thank you billbillyrkstr..... I'm a software tester so I do keep my temp notes and times thats a must. I guess its time for another brisket in a couple weeks i will def. post how it turned out. I do know one thing i was doing wrong and my wife did mention it, I was slicing it within 10-15 mins of removing from the smoker. Do you wrap it up in tinfoil or just let it rest on the counter for up to an hour before slicing?

Hi there and welcome!

As stated above. Get and use reliable meat probe thermometer. Put the probe(s) into the Thickest yet center most portion of Flat of the brisket... not the point! I always recommend a wireless dual probe (or more probes) thermometer like the ThermoPro TP20 but there are many out there that will do the trick.

IMPORTANT: A brisket is done when it is tender. The Internal Temp (IT) of the brisket is going to tell you WHEN to check for tenderness. You check for tenderness by stabbing ALL OVER with a toothpic, skewer, etc. and when it goes in and out ALL OVER like butter then it is done! It is often recommended to check for tenderness at an IT of 195F and keep checking every couple of degrees or so. If you have your temp probe in a correct spot (which is difficult to do) then often around 201-204F'ish the brisket will finally tell you that it is tender. BTW it takes me 3 probes into the flat to get a good reliable placement for a Brisket temp I can rely on :)

As for what smoker temp to use that is your preference. Briskets can handle from smoker temps 225F - 400F. I do mine at 275F because I don't like waiting for days to cook and eat my brisket and I like it to be done more quickly to avoid losing as much moisture as it may lose over a longer lower temp smoke.

Finally don't be afraid to trim your brisket so that the thin portions are removed and don't burn up while cooking. You can throw that good meat in later to cook if you like or save it for something else. See the following image.

I hope this info helps :)
tallbm,
actually it all helps. I've kept the thin part on both of my smokes and yes they were tough / over cooked on that end. So by cutting it off i'm sure will help with over cook. thank you.

Sounds like you got some good advice!
Be sure & let us know how the next one goes.
Personally I'm in the group that smokes them hot & fast.
I run my smoker at 270-280.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky