Smoking 8lb pork shoulder or cut in half?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aiwa101

Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Hey everyone I’m going to be smoking a pork should this weekend for Father’s Day. I have two 8lb shoulders and was wondering if splitting them in half to have 4lb ones is a better idea for cook time and the danger zone. Will 4lb ones smoke fine and not dry out? I never made anything that small before. I’ll be using my traeger.

thank you!

If it were me, I would cook them whole. An eight pounder is a little larger than I normally buy so I would have it prepared (trimmed and rubbed) the night before. Up early to start the cooker and have it on by 6 or 7.
If you split them they will cook a little faster and have more bark.

It is the thickness of the meat that has the greatest effect on the time, so cutting in half won't necessarily help as much as you might want it to. Now if you are really after more bark, then have at it. If you're concerned about time, smoke at a higher temp, say 250º-275º. Butts are one of the most forgiving cuts and you really have to work hard to not get great results.

Unless you butterfly them the cook time will not be any quicker. It goes by the thickness of the meat. I would keep them intact & just go for the long cook. Personally I cook them at 270-280 and you won’t have to worry about a stall & you can always smoke them for 6-8 hours & finish them in the oven, while you sleep.
Al

Reactions: schlotz
Agree with SmokinAl SmokinAl keep 'em whole but, if time is tight, smoke for 5-6 hours then wrap tight in foil, put in a pan (just in case) and place in a 300º oven.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky