Smokin the birds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jay1340

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Timbuctu, Mali
Been awile since I added anything but that doesn't mean I haven't been smokin and eating good!
Moved, so had to add wind dams around the bittom of the MBXL. Used some old tin and self tapping screws, worked great.
Also quit using the skillet with wood chunks and finally put Todd Johnson's 12" tube to work. Much easier, except now I'm buying pellets.
Picked up 6 birds at ALDI for 95¢lb. and a turket breast.
Been reading about this spatchcock chicken thing, so one git that with some bird rub, one got bird rub, dad likes Tabasco so one got the rub and Tabasco. They all got butter under the skin.
Three git the butter and Lemon Pepper season.
The Gobbler breast got bird rub.
Smokin along about 265*.
The tube's running Jay's choice; huckory, peach and sugar maple. That combo may change in the future depending on taste.

Everything looks great. I noticed that your spatched bird wasn't laying flat. With a spatched bird, you need to lay them flat. that will even out the cooking and all the parts will be done at the same time. Well worth the less than 5 minutes it takes to cut out the backbone.

A good injection to amp things up is Creole butter, beer, and Franks hot sauce.

Creole butter:

Melt butter and combine all ingredients. Mix with beer and hot sauce for injection. I use a 1:1 ratio of Creole butter/beer to hot sauce
  • 1 pound butter
  • 1 tablespoon Big Time BBQ Rub (or your favorite rub)
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoon freshly and finely ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky