Smokin Tex/It accessories compatibility

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marriedman

Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Dayton, OH
I mentioned in my intro post that I lucked into a Smokin Tex 1400 this past weekend. I just ordered a wood box and it should be here Saturday. While I was looking around for best prices, I noticed that Smokin-It accessories look to be identical but a little bit cheaper.

I scour eBay, Craigslist, and FB Marketplace frequently. If I were to see some Smoking It stuff, would it be compatible with my Tex? I really want the cold smoking plate and the wood chip insert, but I wouldn't mind picking up the turkey tray and... well... just about anything and everything. Honestly I am just so damned excited to have a smoker other than my POS CharBroil that died.

I mentioned in my intro post that I lucked into a Smokin Tex 1400 this past weekend. I just ordered a wood box and it should be here Saturday. While I was looking around for best prices, I noticed that Smokin-It accessories look to be identical but a little bit cheaper.

I scour eBay, Craigslist, and FB Marketplace frequently. If I were to see some Smoking It stuff, would it be compatible with my Tex? I really want the cold smoking plate and the wood chip insert, but I wouldn't mind picking up the turkey tray and... well... just about anything and everything. Honestly I am just so damned excited to have a smoker other than my POS CharBroil that died.
@old sarge has a lot of knowledge on Smokin It, Smokin Tex and Cook Shack. If he misses this thread, you can pm him a conversation.

Reactions: marriedman
My best hunch is that the cold smoke plate and turkey tray and chip screen 'should' work. The shelves/racks on the 1400 are the same size as the SI model 2 that is 14 1/2" square per each site so the cold tray for model 2 should fit. Take a moment and contact Smokin-it for dimensions before ordering.

Reactions: marriedman
You might look into getting an A-MAZE-N pellet tray for cold smoking for 1/2 the price VS the cold smoke plate because it burns much cooler. Using the Smokin It/Tex burner even adjusted low enough to just barely make smoke creates a lot of heat and these things are very well insulated. Even with the pellet tray burning dust I'd have to put frozen water bottles in mine to smoke cheese if the outside temps are over 50 degrees.

I don't think an AMAZEN pellet tray would work in one of these, as it needs a constant supply of fresh, oxygenated air to stay lit. I remember reading years ago about someone drilling holes in the bottom of his smoker to make it work, though.

I cannot speak for SmokinTex (there are postings illustrating the drilling and the results. I can tell you from other sources that many owners of the Smokin-It line have successfully used Amazen products with no smoker modification. Both brands are similar in function. Why one brand would work and not another I cannot say. It could be insufficient air flow, incomplete lighting the pellets or sawdust, or maybe a little of both.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...wners-out-there-help-me-get-tbs.133283/page-3

I don't think an AMAZEN pellet tray would work in one of these, as it needs a constant supply of fresh, oxygenated air to stay lit. I remember reading years ago about someone drilling holes in the bottom of his smoker to make it work, though.
I use one in my Smokin-It with no mods or holes drilled. Some use a small aquarium air pump to feed air thru the grease drain hole but I haven't any seen need for it.

eta OK I read the thread and old sarges post and see what you mean. It doesn't make sense that it works in one and not the other. Maybe an air pump would work in that case.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in guys. If not for the fact that I have a pretty large selection of wood chips on hand, I probably wouldn't worry about the chip insert and just switch over to chunks.

Old Sarge, thanks for link also. Good reading.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky