SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, Jond36, this sounds really interesting. When you open the door you lose your smoke. Do you add chips? I see you do this every hour. Do you also keep a pan of some liquid going? I would REALLY like to hear how you are doing this in the SI. I have much to learn and it sounds to me like you are much better versed than I. Do you liquefy the brown sugar and brush it on or do you just apply it as a solid?

I got one for Father's Day a couple of years ago. I use it about 1-2 times a month. I have a basic model with two racks inside. So far it has worked great. I have smoked salmon, brisket, turkey, chicken and I haven't had any complaints!  I use the book that Jeff wrote as my guide and it has worked for me.

Mike

I make it so much complicated than it has to be. Lol. I open the door every hour and add a hand full of granulated brown sugar right on top of the butt and let the heat do the rest. When I open the door I can add a few large chips or small chunks. Usually chips only last about an hour.

Thank you, Jond36. I am going to give it a try. I was a programmer and tend to overthink things. I really like the idea and will do about what you said. I will let you know. Thanks so much for the reply.

I own a Smokin' It #2 electric smoker and I love it.  Holds up to 35 lbs of meat and other things at a time.  It is built like a brick shithouse and it holds temp right on target.  Uses only wood chunks unless you buy something from them or rig up your own contraption (which I did with a tin foil pan stuck full of holes).  It weighs over 80 lbs and it cost me over $400 USD plus shipping, bringing it to over $500 USD.  No regrets so far (except that it doesn't have a timer), it is a stainless-steel beauty and does a great job.

Last edited:
I get your point, Ironhorse07. I am more concerned with oversmoking. That said, I am not set in stone and I think I will try smoking a pork butt all the way. This method was introduced to me by a friend who made some of the best pulled pork I have ever had and it worked for me. However, my guess is that you have much more experience than I so I will give your method a try and see how it goes. If it works out about the same, and I expect it probably will, I will be a happy camper.

That might work better for his smoker. I am just saying that with the smokin-it and how it holds the moisture that you would get as good or better results without the additional step. Either way, smoke on.

picked it up at factory last month. Mounted it a rolling stainless tool chest I got from Sam's Club. Fold down stainless table was left over when I built my gas grill into a kitchen island on the patio. Going to season it tomorrow and cook on Sunday.

Thanks I have the church X-Mas party next month I will be smoking 4 turkey's and some Samon. Some tried my smoked cheese a few weeks back and I have a order to do cheese also. It will be in hard use soon.

Last edited:
HI. I PAID $800. FOR A JEN-AIRE STAINLESS GRILL. IT STARTED TO RUST INTERNALLY ALMOST AT ONCE. IT GOT SO BAD I BEGAN SHOPPING FOR REPLACEMENT (INNARDS) VERY PRICEY PER PIECE. IN MY POKING AROUND I DISCOVERED THERE ARE DIFFERENT GRADES OF STAINLESS STEEL. IT JUST SO HAPPENS MY HIGH DOLLAR WAS MADE OF THE LOWEST GRADE. SO MY NEXT GRILL COST ABOUT $250. IT HAS SOME STAINLESS ON IT BUT THE FIREBOX IS OF MUCH BETTER QUALITY. SO MY SUGGESTION IS TO LOOK MORE TO WHAT MAKES IT WORK THAN TO HOW SPARKLY IT IS......JUST SAYIN

HI. I PAID $800. FOR A JEN-AIRE STAINLESS GRILL. IT STARTED TO RUST INTERNALLY ALMOST AT ONCE. IT GOT SO BAD I BEGAN SHOPPING FOR REPLACEMENT (INNARDS) VERY PRICEY PER PIECE. IN MY POKING AROUND I DISCOVERED THERE ARE DIFFERENT GRADES OF STAINLESS STEEL. IT JUST SO HAPPENS MY HIGH DOLLAR WAS MADE OF THE LOWEST GRADE. SO MY NEXT GRILL COST ABOUT $250. IT HAS SOME STAINLESS ON IT BUT THE FIREBOX IS OF MUCH BETTER QUALITY. SO MY SUGGESTION IS TO LOOK MORE TO WHAT MAKES IT WORK THAN TO HOW SPARKLY IT IS......JUST SAYIN
Some add just enough Chromium to the steel to qualify it as stainless.  My magnetic digital probe therms stick very well to my stainless steel Masterbuilt smokehouse which means low chromium, which means low quality stainless steel, which means bring a magnet if there is a display to test.

-Kurt

Last edited:
I will say that I have had had this smoker (#3) for about 2 years and I have been like a pig in shit! It can do anything you want to smoke and more... From jerky and salmon to pulled pork and brisket.. I've been impressed! My next is a standing rib roast which I can't wait

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky