Smokin a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big-guy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Put turkey in a brine overnight

Brine was 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt, 20 cups water,  a few orange slices, some bay leaves , onions and garlic.

Remove and pat dry,stuff, rub down with some EVOO and a little dusting of Mrs. Dash

into the smoker

just about ready

all done

ready to carve

on the plate

Last edited:
Reactions: meateater
Looking Good, just did one the other day myself.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That is one beautiful bird!  Love smoked turkey. 
Thanksgiving is just around the corner!  time to stock up on whole turkeys for the smoker!!!!!!

Is it the brown sugar that gets your skin so dark and almost reddish?  I've not yet done a whole bird, just the breast, and I got dark golden, but yours looks almost sweet...

Great work!

icon_cool.gif

Now thats one fine looking bird there Big Guy. You have done a great job.

Dang Ray, that bird was too pretty to eat...  Great Mahogany Color too...

I am impressed.  You don't normally see a stuffed turkey smoked.  Did the smoke flavor the stuffing much?

Cole

Wow! That is the prettiest smoked turkey I have ever seen! I think I might have to try one soon. Love that color!!! Thanks for sharing kind sir!

B E Autiful turkey!  Love the color also.  I was curious about the stuffing as well. How much longer do you think it took to finish being stuffed as opposed to not? Did the stuffing get a good smoke flavor?

I need to try that as soon as I can get my hands on a decent turkey!!

Jeff

Guess it will be a seperate pan of stuffing for me when the time comes, thanks for that Piney. It does make sense now that I think about it.

I think that was a 12 # bird and thats as big as I would go with stuffing. Bigger birds I like to Spatchcock when smoking to keep the danger zone as small as possible.

Hey Big-Guy,

That Turkey looks way bigger. I thought it was about a 20 pounder, at least!

Look at that one picture---It's bigger than the front end of the vehicle in the same picture! 
eek.gif

I still say that's the prettiest color I ever saw on a Turkey !

Bear

Perfect looking bird!I smoke a turkey every year for Thanksgiving.I don't think my family would show up if I didn't.
icon_confused.gif
Someday,if I'm lucky,mine might be that pretty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky