• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smokin a turkey

big-guy

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 12, 2010
Put turkey in a brine overnight

Brine was 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt, 20 cups water,  a few orange slices, some bay leaves , onions and garlic.

Remove and pat dry,stuff, rub down with some EVOO and a little dusting of Mrs. Dash

into the smoker

just about ready

all done

ready to carve

on the plate

Last edited:

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Looking Good, just did one the other day myself.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
That is one beautiful bird!  Love smoked turkey. 
Thanksgiving is just around the corner!  time to stock up on whole turkeys for the smoker!!!!!!

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 28, 2010
Is it the brown sugar that gets your skin so dark and almost reddish?  I've not yet done a whole bird, just the breast, and I got dark golden, but yours looks almost sweet...

Great work!

rp ribking

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well done, looks great. When I smoke one, I hope that it turns out like that. 

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Now thats one fine looking bird there Big Guy. You have done a great job.

big-guy

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 12, 2010
Is it the brown sugar that gets your skin so dark and almost reddish?  I've not yet done a whole bird, just the breast, and I got dark golden, but yours looks almost sweet...

Great work!
I think its a combination of the brown sugar and the olive oil rub.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Great looking bird there Big Guy!

Awesome Mahogany color!!!

Thanks for showing,

Bear

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Dang Ray, that bird was too pretty to eat...  Great Mahogany Color too...

cole

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 7, 2010
I am impressed.  You don't normally see a stuffed turkey smoked.  Did the smoke flavor the stuffing much?

Cole

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2010
Wow! That is the prettiest smoked turkey I have ever seen! I think I might have to try one soon. Love that color!!! Thanks for sharing kind sir!

captsly

StickBurners
Joined Feb 12, 2010
B E Autiful turkey!  Love the color also.  I was curious about the stuffing as well. How much longer do you think it took to finish being stuffed as opposed to not? Did the stuffing get a good smoke flavor?

I need to try that as soon as I can get my hands on a decent turkey!!

Jeff

captsly

StickBurners
Joined Feb 12, 2010
Guess it will be a seperate pan of stuffing for me when the time comes, thanks for that Piney. It does make sense now that I think about it.

big-guy

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 12, 2010
I think that was a 12 # bird and thats as big as I would go with stuffing. Bigger birds I like to Spatchcock when smoking to keep the danger zone as small as possible.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I think that was a 12 # bird and thats as big as I would go with stuffing. Bigger birds I like to Spatchcock when smoking to keep the danger zone as small as possible.

Hey Big-Guy,

That Turkey looks way bigger. I thought it was about a 20 pounder, at least!

Look at that one picture---It's bigger than the front end of the vehicle in the same picture! 

I still say that's the prettiest color I ever saw on a Turkey !

Bear

grillzilla

Joined Jun 1, 2008
Perfect looking bird!I smoke a turkey every year for Thanksgiving.I don't think my family would show up if I didn't.
Someday,if I'm lucky,mine might be that pretty.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.