Okie Joe Bronco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluesmoke214

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 1, 2022
Happy New Year everyone

Santa brought me an Oklahoma Joe Bronco smoker - the plain black one, not the glow-in-the-dark orange Pro - for Christmas. I have been using my Weber 22 in. kettle for years to smoke meat, and I have come to the conclusion there has to be a better way to smoke the occasional flat, rack of pork or beef ribs, and other cuts. After looking at dozens of models and reading reviews, I opted for the Bronco.

Haven't unboxed it yet - it weighs about 800 pounds in the box and is still sitting in my living room. I think I know some of what's in store, but I would appreciate any input from those of you who have this smoker.

Look forward to your first cook and review. I've not put one together.

Jim
I will post for sure when I am sufficiently rested from the toils of the holiday to get this behemoth assembled.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
I know! Amazing how eating and being with family can wear ya out! I just want a nap.

Jim

No help but I'll give you a bump.
Several here have the Bronco but can't remember who.

Keith

I have a bronco, just make sure the holes line up when you join the top with the bottom.

Reactions: 912smoker
I have the regular Bronco. I absolutely love the thing. It's incredibly easy to hold temp with the vents. I keep the top fully open and control temp with the intake.

The only thing that I'll say is I prefer running briquettes in it. More consistent and predictable temp than lump, at least in my experience.

I have the regular Bronco. I absolutely love the thing. It's incredibly easy to hold temp with the vents. I keep the top fully open and control temp with the intake.

The only thing that I'll say is I prefer running briquettes in it. More consistent and predictable temp than lump, at least in my experience.
Hi JCAP...I appreciate the reply and the input. It brings up an issue for me. As you know, the air intake assembly runs along the side of the smoker and ends at the center bottom of the drum where there is a intake cap that moves back and forth. Is this what you are referring to as the "intake?" How in the world are you supposed to adjust that cap at the very bottom of the drum? I must be missing something - can you enlighten me? TIA.

Paul

Reactions: JLeonard
Hi JCAP...I appreciate the reply and the input. It brings up an issue for me. As you know, the air intake assembly runs along the side of the smoker and ends at the center bottom of the drum where there is a intake cap that moves back and forth. Is this what you are referring to as the "intake?" How in the world are you supposed to adjust that cap at the very bottom of the drum? I must be missing something - can you enlighten me? TIA.

Paul
I dont have one...but looking at the video the intake is a long tube that runs down beside the shelf to the bottom with a slide cap on it....

Jim

Paul

The cap that hangs off of the intake at the center bottom of the smoker is the air intake cap. Functionally, it's where the grease collects! It's not bad removing it after a cook but it's a tight fit between the bottom of the drum and the ground.

But people do take the air intake cap off if they want to get the unit really hot for like direct grilling.

For smoking, leave the intake cap on and only move the damper that is on the top of the air intake. See the circle in the picture below!

Attachments

• okjoe.png
    okjoe.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: 912smoker
thanks again! it is a little hard to reach for a 74 yo with 2 bad knees...think I'll keep a 2x4 around to place under the legs to give me a little more room when I need to clean it out or open itt up.

Reactions: JCAP and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky