Smoker temp is too low!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slingerland

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Okay, I'm having "fun" (yeah, right) with my Cajun Bandit rig ("Gambit") and keeping the temps UP.

In all my past cooks, I've had good control using a Minion snake method.  Today I'm doing two slabs of babybacks, and for the first time ever, I can't get the temp up where I want it.  I'm running with all vents wide open and the temp has mostly been around 215.  Right now it has crept up to 230.

Normally for babybacks, my technique is normally to cook at 260~275:
  • 2 hours open to smoke.
  • Wrap for an hour and a half in an aluminum pan.  Apple juice for steam/braising.
  • Back open to sauce for the remaining 30 minutes or so.
So now... time to improvise.  My wife doesn't like a strong smoke flavor, so I'm still going to wrap after 2 hours.  But while I have the cooker open, I'll use a Thermopen to get a quick snapshot of the temp, and a feel for the tenderness so far.

But going forward... maybe two hours wrapped?

Any advice or suggestions?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky