Smoker shopping - help and ideas welcome

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have any of you seen this before - the unit (MES40) is unable to power up around or under 32 degrees (eaa1 error)? Seems we already talked about the meat probe/thermometer issues....

"Purchased a few months back, what a piece of junk. Meat probe isn't accurate at all. I have two other digital thermometers that are spot on and this one is 20 to 30 degrees off. And if it's below 32 degrees outside, forget it. Either you have to preheat the unit with a hair dryer, or it won't power up. Stupid eaa1 error code. It smokes fine once it starts going, but what a pain. Would buy a different product if I could have a do over."

Have any of you seen this before - the unit (MES40) is unable to power up around or under 32 degrees (eaa1 error)? Seems we already talked about the meat probe/thermometer issues....

"Purchased a few months back, what a piece of junk. Meat probe isn't accurate at all. I have two other digital thermometers that are spot on and this one is 20 to 30 degrees off. And if it's below 32 degrees outside, forget it. Either you have to preheat the unit with a hair dryer, or it won't power up. Stupid eaa1 error code. It smokes fine once it starts going, but what a pain. Would buy a different product if I could have a do over."

I haven't had to try my MES in winter yet..since it's not even a year old. But there's a few people who talk about how to get around it. I theorize by putting the AMNPS in after lighting it, it'll work. On the other hand, how often do you plan to use the smoker in the snow? I don't plan to have mine out in the snow, I plan to have it right behind the garage and bring it in the garage to bring up to temp, then wheel it outside if I use it. I'm sure some one here has also found a work around by now to be fair.

I haven't had to try my MES in winter yet..since it's not even a year old. But there's a few people who talk about how to get around it. I theorize by putting the AMNPS in after lighting it, it'll work. On the other hand, how often do you plan to use the smoker in the snow? I don't plan to have mine out in the snow, I plan to have it right behind the garage and bring it in the garage to bring up to temp, then wheel it outside if I use it. I'm sure some one here has also found a work around by now to be fair.

It would not be easy for me to heat it up in the garage and then move it to the deck. Those areas are too far away from one another. I'd love to have it available to work during the winter months - I still get hungry! If it only needs a "kick-start" to get going I'm sure I can manage that. I'm curious to see what others have done.

It would not be easy for me to heat it up in the garage and then move it to the deck. Those areas are too far away from one another. I'd love to have it available to work during the winter months - I still get hungry! If it only needs a "kick-start" to get going I'm sure I can manage that. I'm curious to see what others have done.
I mean to me, just needing to run a hair dryer over the sensor for a minute or two isn't a big deal you know? I'm actually thinking that putting the AMNPS when it's in the phase of being lit before you blow it out near the sensors would get it going. Maybe the newer MES don't have htis problem even. Alot of the headaches people mentioned are only on the early builds, I haven't had a single problem every one warned me about and thanks to BearCarver's knowledge I determined I have a newer one, a hybrid build, the best features of all previous ones etc.

Reactions: irb75
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Newer MES (linked in all the MES above. I scrolled down under price and it listed a NEWER model ) $20 cheaper too....
I was also looking at the same Spec as you are **Space, Set and Forget (at times )
It should arrive in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes.

AP514

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Newer MES (linked in all the MES above. I scrolled down under price and it listed a NEWER model ) $20 cheaper too....
I was also looking at the same Spec as you are **Space, Set and Forget (at times )

AP514

this one?

2018-09-10_1346.png

Re: the 32 degree issue. In the winter you can always just run it inside the garage with about 8.00 of innovation.

20180609_044801.jpg

That's two mes 30's side by side with 3 inch dryer hose running out through the modified window.

At my old house I simply made a 2 loop "chain" out of zip ties and bought a coat hook. Install the coat hook into the door frame of the garage door, and hang your zip tie chain.

Then youre exhausting outside and your smoker is inside all toasty and warm.

Re: the 32 degree issue. In the winter you can always just run it inside the garage with about 8.00 of innovation.

View attachment 375937

That's two mes 30's side by side with 3 inch dryer hose running out through the modified window.

At my old house I simply made a 2 loop "chain" out of zip ties and bought a coat hook. Install the coat hook into the door frame of the garage door, and hang your zip tie chain.

Then youre exhausting outside and your smoker is inside all toasty and warm.

#ADDICTION :)

Reactions: fivetricks

yup that is the one...:)

I did not go in Blind..like you I searched these forums and...
1) I know about the CRAPPY Bluetooth..No big deal as the selector works on unit
2) I also got a TP-20 temp..you can never have enough IMO (thinking of getting a thin lollipop one for ribs)
3) I will wait on the AMNPS...but most likely will get one( bases on the word here)

Last edited:
yup that is the one...:)

I did not go in Blind..like you I searched these forums and...
1) I know about the CRAPPY Bluetooth..No big deal as the selector works on unit
2) I also got a TP-20 temp..you can never have enough IMO (thinking of getting a thin lollipop one for ribs)
3) I will wait on the AMNPS...but most likely will get one( bases on the word here)

With out the AMNPS you can't smoke meat under 225f. So no sausage making etc. Also I didn't have one at first and I still don't mind using chips at all. <To be fair apple chips make me open windows because the smell of that pure applewood TBS is amazing. So sweet smelling!> But when I know some thing will take 16+ hours? I put that in around 10 PM to Midnight and run that sucker with the AMNPS for smoke and sleep Lol.

I never used a WSM myself but started with a Brinkmann vertical water smoker. Similar design WAY less quality. The WSM is pretty much the head of the class for vertical water smokers. You will be very happy with that if you go in that direction. That being said, I would never consider giving up my OKJ Highland unless I could afford a high end horizontal offset. In the $500 range you are limited to some pretty good choices if you decided to go with an offset but you won't get near the quality construction and ease of use that you would get out of the WSM. For $300 you get the 22" version and can fit most any normal sized meat on that. My Brinkmann is 18" and I have few issues with fitting meat. Those extra four inches will make just about any cook so much easier for you. Now if you are willing to wait until the Christmas season then maybe you could stumble across a crazy deal like I found when I bought my OKJ at Walmart for $75 last December. If you aren't in a rush then I would suggest waiting until the December time frame on the off chance that whatever you choose might be on some kind of Winter clearance. Just my two cents.

George
I would agree entirely. My next purchase will be the 22" WSM.

AP514

How did things work out? I'm going to order the 40 MES you specified as well.

Large plastic trash bag will do in a pinch.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky