smoker..repaint or leave it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin-jeff

Original poster
May 30, 2016
So I've got an offset smoker. And the box has lost its paint and had turned a rusty color. Should I repaint it? Any tips would be great!

You probably have a couple options. You could repaint it with high heat paint. Or give your firebox a lite coat of cooking oil and then fire it up and let it season.

Thanks, I'll probably do a light sand and repaint with some high temp paint. Then throw some oil on and fire it up.

I assume you are talking about the exterior.  

IMHO If you have rust, you need to do a really good sanding to stop the rust.  Then paint it with a high temp paint,  There are 3 different paints on the market.  High Temp paint, Header/exhaust paint, and Wood Stove paint.  I learned the hard way that you should use either header paint or wood stove paint they are made for the higher  temps that your firebox will give off.  

I recommend doing multiple coats and lightly sanding in between coats.  Put it out in the sun for a couple days to bake the paint in before firing up and I would let the paint cure for at least 7 days.   

If you know someone who can sand blast it, that would be your best bet for prep.

Good luck!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Thanks for the advise. I think some sanding and paint seems like my best option.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky