Smoker racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cyclonesmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
Iowa
should I be cleaning my smoker racks after every smoke? When I grill I heat up the grill then run the brush over the grates....wasn't sure what I should be doing for the smoker racks?

icon_cool.gif

I do the same thing just knock off the chunks and smoke on.

I have found when smoking salmon, if it is oily, the racks and drip pan can transfer the fish taste to your next smoked product. Scrubbing anything that may have fish oil on it might be a good idea.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Dave

I also have a GOSM Big Block and, like MoFo, I clean the racks I use after each smoke.  However, I only insert as many racks as I need.  It helps keep down the KP job, doncha know.

I clean my racks after every smoke by soaking with dish soap an hour or two

After knocking the chunks off I toss them in the dish washer and call it good

I think it depends on the grill.

I guess cast iron grills get cleaned like I do my gas grill---get it hot & brush it.

Mrs Bear cleans my MES grills after every use.

Bear

I clean my racks too. With the Masterbuilt XL, I thought I cut a fat hog in the a$$ with the chrome racks. Just put them in the dishwasher, right? Wrong!! They're about 1" too long to fit, AARGH. But I found a plastic Mortar mixing tub at Home Depot that work perfect for under $10. Pam on the racks before the smoke makes the gunk come off easy.

Reactions: arnie
I'm with Bear, I clean the water pan, Judy cleans the grates. I don't think they need to be cleaned each time, but she does, so she cleans them. It works for me.

I think it depends on the grill.

I guess cast iron grills get cleaned like I do my gas grill---get it hot & brush it.

Mrs Bear cleans my MES grills after every use.

Bear
Ditto, except Mrs Hunter does mine.  I'm sure she'd appreciate it if Mrs Bear would like to take this over 
icon_lol.gif
LOL---Good Luck !

Mrs Bear never complains about doing things like this, but that Grumpy look she gives me is sometimes worse!  
eek.gif

There is nothing worse that trying to clean my grates on my MES.  I tried in the sink with soap and water, and that was not working.  So I fired up the Weber propane grill and place all the grills on there for a few minutes on high and everything burned off.  Ran a brush over them and were nice and clean.  Never going to waste an hour of my life and scub these things again.

Clean?? You Mean we are suppose to Clean Em? OMG Man Epic fail lol ,  Naw I usually Just Knock Off the big stuff and Move On  I wipe grates with Oil or spray with Pam . I'm old school I Like the Taste of a Seasoned cook ( I don't smoke fish ) so It works well.  But I will take it to a Car wash and hose every so often to do a once over, Lining the bottom with a drip pan or foil keeps the Greasiness down to a Minimum. and If The Racks do get funky I use a brass brush on a grinder  and Bam clean in 2.5 rinse then oil.  But I never Use soap, I dont like the taste if you miss rinse it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky