Smoker Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

maddmims

Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I need help! Buying my first smoker in many years. Had a vertical but want a horizontal with wheels. I want to stay below $600 but can go higher. Want to use both wood & charcoal. Gas option would be nice but not necessary. My Number One main concern is regulating the tempature with ease. Don't want to have to babysit. I reviewed all the smokers on this website and am STILL undecided so I tought I'd cry out for help. Any suggestions?

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
For a horizontal offset with that kind of controll you are going to have to spend some $$ and get one with 1/4" steel construction. None of the flimsy metal ones at the big box stores will hold the temps that well without a lot of babysitting. Maybe keep an eye out for somebody selling a used Lang?

I had a Char-griller with all the mod's and eventually sold it to get my 22.5" WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain), specifically due to the temp. controll issue. All things considered I really, really like my WSM, and being the 22.5" I can fit a lot of food on it at one time.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Feb 10, 2009
harborcreek,pa
I have a chargriller duo...propane grill on one side,charcoal with side firebox on the other. With some mods and a few firebricks you can have a pretty good rig. do some investigating on tha search and wikis and do some reading!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.