1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoker modified and ready to season!

Discussion in 'Virginia Smokers Group' started by m3pwrofm3, Sep 1, 2018.

1. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

After dealing with Walmart for an hour because they lost my online order I purchased one already assembled. Got it home took it all apart and got the silicone put on with gaskets, extra thermostat, lava lock fire box, heat diffuser, and wagon wheels.
    Sunday going to season the smoker and hopefully get some meats on it Monday for labor day.

Attached Files:

2. wahoowad

wahoowad Smoke Blower

Are you going to run it as a stick burner or a charcoal burner?

3. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

Both I think, I purchased a bunch of Oak and Apple wood but I also have Lump charcoal. Going to season it with wood for sure though.

4. Looks good

5. kruizer

kruizer Smoking Fanatic

Are you going to run that in your living room??

meatallica likes this.
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Smoke Blower

I would move it further away from that leather couch

meatallica likes this.
  7. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

I enjoy the smell :D. I'll just crack the window Haha.

8. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking good. Get that puppy seasoned and smoke on.

m3pwrofm3 likes this.
  9. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

inaugural smoke complete, all seasoned and ready for ribs today. Learned what size logs are required to keep the smoker at 300/350 but it didn't hold temps for more than 30 before losing temps. The logs I got don't seem seasoned enough and start to smolder if there isn't enough original coal. The logs if not placed in the smoke chamber to pre heat put out a lot white smoke, smells good but it's not a clean heat like I was hoping. Also found some gaps where the silicone didn't close up connecting the fire box to the smoke chamber that was causing heat loss and a lot of smoke to escape. Any advice is welcome here.

Attached Files:

HarleySmoker417 likes this.
  10. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

Got a brisket smoked up a few weeks ago for football. Came out better than I thought for a first smoke on the OKJ.

Attached Files: