Smoker Modification Help for AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwaytkus

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hudson Falls, NY
Ok so I have pretty much given up on getting my AMNPS to work as a cold smoker in my Masterbuilt.  So here is try #2.  I have obtained a Brinkman Electric smoker and removed the electric portion.  I set it up today as the pics show with the AMNPS in the bottom and it was close.  What would be the best ways to modify this smoker so that I have an awesome cold smoker with the AMNPS??

The lid does not have a chimney on it.  The lid has a slight gap all the way around where the smoke comes out but maybe its not enough?  Should I make more holes in the base?

I'm wondering why you can't get that AMNPS to work in your MES...have you contacted Todd to get his assistance? Especially for cold smoking, you might try ordering some of his dust. I'm sure Todd could get you on track.

Red

Last edited:
Yes I have spoke to Todd a lot on the issues.  And I see that everyone else that owns a masterbuilt analog has the same problem.  And without some major alteration's or Mailbox mod it won't work.  So I am going to another option to get the AMNPS to work.  I use my Masterbuilt to hot smoke a lot and don't want to compromise anything.  I have already done some mods to it and still no go.  So now I have this other smoker that I am willing to manipulate however I need too to get to work for my cold smoker.

Ok so I am new on the smoking scene and was planning on getting an AMNPS this saturday at one of the only stores that sells it in Canada, I have a masterbuilt propane 2 door smoker, the reason for getting the AMNPS was to cold smoke bacon and cheese, now you have me second guessing buying the unit, why is it not working for you?? So I can't just place the AMNPS in the bottom of my MPS and cold smoke??? Sorry not trying to hijack, anyone with info to help me out could PM me so we don't hijack this thread

Thanks CWS

Last edited:
I have MES analog elective smoker. All I get is thick white smoke. No clear smoke. I would suggest doing a search for your smoker and the AMNPS on here and see what others say. Or ask Todd.

If you want to use the AMNpS to burn pellets when hot smoking it works great.

I have a similar style electric smoker.  

Try it the way it is first.  If that doesn't work, this is what I did.  It works for both cold & hot smoking with amnps.

I used a 1" dia. hole saw to put (3) holes in the lid, just under the corner radius.  I also added (3) 1/2" dia. holes right near the bottom of the body.  Instead, you may want to drill holes in the base, from the inside right at the corner of the base.  You want these holes to be below the AMNPS, so as low as possible.

It works like a charm for me.

Don

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky