Smoker burning coating off.. food ruined??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i think its just fine....just taste test it first......"the experts" say smoking and grilling is unhealthy anyway so 
th_Slab_of_meat.gif

There seems to be a lot of "go ahead and eat it" responses on here......   

For those recommending JAX eat it, and feed it to his family and possibly little kids..........

Would you feed it to your child ?????

For discussion sake, lets talk about why it would be bad...

The paint on the exterior is what was baking. It had 400+ burn inside the box for a couple hours the previous day. Then I oiled it and everything down over night.

It wasn't until hour 3 that it started burning off.

Its my understanding a lot of people experience this with these grills because the cheap ass paint.

I am concerned and will likely just go down to city BBQ and grab 5lbs of pulled pork.

Just for discussion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

i WOULD feed it to people at my house....but if it makes you feel more comfortable to go get some from your local joint later this afternoon thats cool too cant knock ya for being safe

I guess one point that could be made is.......   If the smoker wasn't hot enough to burn off the paint on day one......  It could have not been hot enough to completely burn off the stuff still inside the smoker.....   

Now, with the elevated temps today, the paint burns off, possibly burning off stuff inside the smoker...  

I'm not saying that is a fact, just guessing at what is going on...  

Each time I fire up my smokers, I take them to max temp to burn off anything that could have "grown" inside.... and if I re-oil it, I take it to max temp to be on the safe side....   

This forum is not just about making sausage etc.....   We do attempt to keep our members safe, with a fair amount of food safety....   Erring on the side of "caution" is part of keeping folks safe....    

Sooooooo.......   I will continue to err on the side of caution, regardless of the general consensus..... 

Your humble friend Dave, whom is still trying to give you the best advice I know, to make your smoking adventure as safe as it can be..... 

I appreciate the replies guys. I told the wife hours ago I was gonna go to the local place. I finished it in the oven just to tear it apart and see how the cook went anyway.

Guys I wanted to take a second to tell you all how my cook came out!

Aside from it going in the trash lol.  I took the time to cook it through and check it out and pull it like i would to see the cook.

Holy crap, this was my first time smoking anything and it was amazing!

Pulled very nice, the smoke penatrated very well and it had a nice pretty bark, super moist in side, just real great shoulder! Aside form my mishap with the firebox and bad fumes, the cook was perfect i think!

I didnt take any pics but trust me, it was beautiful!  I tasted a piece from the middle and my juice that injected made some very nice flavors.  I used apple juice, vinegar, some worsestorshire, brown sugar and a couple spices.  This was an incredibly juicy cook guys! 

I gotta tell you, the pork i just picked up from the local joint is not near as pretty or tasty. lol 

Oh well, we live and we learn, i now have two hobbies that are not cheap!  Drag racing and smoking!  However, i can drag the rig to the track and make some cash back maybe? HAHA

Same thing happened to my chargriller on my last cook (baby back ribs). They were delicious, and no one got sick. It's just the cheap paint that chargriller uses on these things getting a little too hot. It's all on the outside though. No worries.

400* today didn't get me at 225. It got me about 200*

I think I posted some times earlier or in my other thread. It was over 400* to get low 200s at 75* ambient.

Its all good. I'm planning to strip it and then coat it.

JAX your experience sounds a lot like my neighbor's first smoke.  His family bought him a nice Brinkman offset but he had a hard time wrapping his head around what was really going on with his temps.  Of course the best temp information you need is grate temp.  Get that figured out & you will be good.  We are going to modify the neighbor's offset & make it a reverse flow for more even heat.  Looks like you could do that too.  Enjoy your new obsession....hahahahahahahahaha!

Just thought I'd check back and let everyone know I did another shoulder Sunday night for lunch labor day.

Things went far better. Used less then a bag of charcoal, only one bag of wood.

Cooker worked well. Meat was very moist. Made great pulled pork and everyone loved it.

It smoked for about 5 hours and then in oven for another 6. This is right from the oven.

7ububery.jpg

JAX04 halveing owened  propabley 5 or 6 chargriller of sets i would not wory about smell it is the paint  burning of the firebox stinks like hell but will not afect the meat had same problem when doing  first couple of cooks on my LANG 60 turd out to be some sort of shipping lable on bottom of firebox

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky