Smoker burned off while smoking pork roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcolereid

Original poster
Jul 25, 2021
I’m smoking a 35 lb pork roast. I thawed it out and injected with a apple juice, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce and Treager Rub. After injecting it I covered it with mustard and Treager Rub and wrapped in Saran Wrap for 12 hrs. I was smoking at 180 and the smoker fluctuating between 170-210 mostly staying around 190. After roughly 19hrs and IT of close to 160 my smoker burned out. I think it could have been between 2-6 but I checked it around 1:45 and it was running at 190 degrees. I would have guessed it went out around 3 am maybe. I caught it at 6 am and the meat was at an IT of ~120. I threw it in a roaster and covered with foil and in the oven at 225 degrees. Once it got back to 160 IT, I turned the temp up to 250. I’m looking for any advice as to how to finish it off and if I should be concerned about the meat becoming contaminated. Thanks in advance.

I might suggest smoking at a higher temp. if you are going for pulled pork 180 is not gonna get the IT high enough. AND 180 will take days to even come close to finishing just about anything. I run mine at 180 for an hour or two to get a heavier dose of smoke, then crake it to 275 till done. I can get 2 ten pounders done in a day.

Reactions: jcolereid
I figured that might be the case. Post some photos of the finished product. I've had legs that were cooked to sliceable, and ones that were pullable. It's all good.

I might suggest smoking at a higher temp. if you are going for pulled pork 180 is not gonna get the IT high enough. AND 180 will take days to even come close to finishing just about anything. I run mine at 180 for an hour or two to get a heavier dose of smoke, then crake it to 275 till done. I can get 2 ten pounders done in a day.

I agree with running a hotter Smoker Temp, especially since you injected that 35 pound roast.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky