Smoker Build in Progress. (Pic. Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone I figured I'd share my smoker build. I did not buy or find any plans I just drew it up on paper and looked at other builds online to come up with something that would work for me.
Yes it is over built I like doing that. No it wasn't cheap but it will last for a life time.
4'x4'x3' exterior dimensions
2" x 1/8" wall tubing frame with 1/8" steel sheets insulated with 2" thick insulation. (2) 4" stacks (2) 2" inlet air valves and (1) 1" drain.
Will be fueled by 2 Pellet pro patriot grills. Will be cold smoking in here as well. Still tossing around the ideas on how I want to go about the warm smoking temps. The 100-150F range as the pellet pros start at 160 and i want to be able to step my temps up for sausage (still have to experiment with just start flat at 160 and how the smoker will be with damper open / door open so on and so forth.)
Will keep updated as the build finishes up.

IMG-0756.jpg
IMG-0757.jpg
IMG-0758.jpg
IMG-0759.jpg
IMG-0843.jpg
IMG-0844.jpg
IMG-0845.jpg
IMG-0846.jpg
IMG-0851.jpg
IMG-0867 - Copy.jpg
IMG-0868.jpg
IMG-0892.jpg
IMG-0893.jpg
IMG-0894 - Copy.jpg
IMG-0895.jpg
IMG-0899.jpg
IMG-1029.jpg
IMG-1040.jpg
IMG-1106.jpg
IMG-1107.jpg
IMG-1118.jpg
IMG-1120.jpg
IMG-1185.jpg
IMG-1186.jpg
IMG-1187.jpg
IMG-1188.jpg
IMG-1189.jpg

THAT IS A SMOKER!!!! Thats awesome, nice work. I'll be following this build.

Looks like a great build so far! Can't wait to see it in use.

Ryan

Ringer, BigW, Auerjr, Brokenhandle, civilsmoker, Thank you all I will post and try to contribute as much as I can to this great forum.

Yes Corey its not light lol but it moves nicely on concrete with those wheels. I didn't plan on mobilizing it a lot just kind of keeping it at the same spot at the house.

Pushok2018 , It will use (2) Smoke Daddy Pelletpro patriot assembly wired together so they are not fighting each other and running off one controller. Smokedaddy has great customer service which drew me to them. As far as electric I was thinking about using some sort of PID with a heating element only for the warm smoking 100-150 F range since the lowest the burn pot will go is 160 on the smoke daddy pellet pros. Still trying to figure that all out and also not sure how much wattage I would need for the volume of the internal cabinet just to get me to 100-150 range. Probably take some playing around to see how the draft and insulation holds up.

SmokinAl,
Thanks I'm a welding engineer for my company and we got a lot of resources that made this job very nice including lifting equipment and industrial sized welding machines and a painting and blasting booth. I enjoy reading through your posts you have lots of great looking recipes that I look forward to trying.

Reactions: bill1
Wow! You have great skills and the resources to support a fabrication of this magnitude. So will this smoker require a reinforced concrete pad at the house to carry the load?😜

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great so far! So the dual SmokeDaddy PelletPros mount in the square holes in back? So what are the lower round front openings in the door for?

Can't wait to see it progress all the way to your patio!

rjob haha if it gets any heavier it might lol!!

Bill1 see the photos below. Air inlet holes for if or when i need them for cold smoking or warm smoking to create a draft. With the pellet pro being a forced air unit I don't really have to worry about it but I threw those in there incase i need them even to just cool it down a little and help move air from bottom to top.

65913563993--8CFD15DF-39C0-4E5F-9FE7-EAD044726BD9.jpg

65913565270--7D1718DA-1C92-4BC5-92C3-CB621CF27320.jpg

Reactions: OldSmoke
Im curious about the pelletpro's will those be strickly for smoke or are you expecting some heat from them? I am designing a large smoker and the pelletpro looks interesting. I notice you plan to use an element also.

Curious what your plan is for this

Corey

Corey,

Pelletpro hopper assembly from smokedaddy will provide heat and smoke, the only reason i mentioned using another element is to add heat for warm smoking since the minimum temperature of the smokedaddy is 160F so that means if you are doing sausage and trying to do a drying step say 120 for an hour 140 for an hour you wouldn't be able to do that with the smokedaddy as its programmed to start at 160.
They have a smoke setting and they have a regular like cooking setting.

Reactions: bill1
That's some really nice looking work on a good looking smoker. I'm a little concerned though that you might need a few more rolls of wire. Looking at those stacks of wire in the picture of the in-progress grate make me think you are going to run out before the project is through

Oh, and you need a bigger welder. Send me that little thing and get a real welder..... :emoji_wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing it done and smoking.

• Haha
You probably have seen this but fullborebbq fullborebbq did a large pellet build...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-pellet-smoker-build.286067/

PS I wouldn’t call it over built....it reminds me of the X-Fire build my son and me did....well are still doing....it is similar size as yours with 3/16 plate but it is lined with fire brick all around.... I haven’t put it on the scale but calc’d at about 2200 lbs.....but it do a ton of BBQ...lol.
BD9AB37B-5FAF-41B9-ACFC-95E25B2A4EC6.jpeg
01B1B170-51AD-4CD7-A845-A2924FC72CFC.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing the smoke daddy’s installed. Those do have a very good PID!

You know, the first thing you should do before starting a project of this magnitude, is to buy proper tools and learn how to use em!

Just kidding. That is a spectacular build! And, I am quite envious of your shop!

You probably have seen this but fullborebbq fullborebbq did a large pellet build...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/my-pellet-smoker-build.286067/

PS I wouldn’t call it over built....it reminds me of the X-Fire build my son and me did....well are still doing....it is similar size as yours with 3/16 plate but it is lined with fire brick all around.... I haven’t put it on the scale but calc’d at about 2200 lbs.....but it do a ton of BBQ...lol.
View attachment 518177View attachment 518178

Looking forward to seeing the smoke daddy’s installed. Those do have a very good PID!

Love the smoker!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky